79 fj40 Brakes versus heat. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Completed complete rebuild to include all new Brake system, working excellently until first extended test drive, noticed pedal got really stiff and fading badly. Did not install exhaust manifold heat shields, the master cylinder felt pretty hot, could the heat have something to do with break fading?
thanks, Hondo

Did you adjust the vacuum booster pushrod to spec when you installed the master cylinder on the booster?

Did you adjust the vacuum booster pushrod to spec when you installed the master cylinder on the booster?
1911, thanks for reply, I really like this site, but not quite up to speed on how to navigate, are instructions available?
No, I did not adjust, installed new booster and master cylinder, and believe I simply adjusted til even with clutch pedal. How do you adjust to spec?
Thanks, Hondo

The reason I mentioned it is because if the booster pushrod was too long, it would apply constant pressure to the master cylinder and could make the pads or shoes drag in the wheels, which would give you a lot of heat.

The link that @emac gave you is good; it's also in the FJ40 factory service manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom