79’ fj40 body mounts locations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it possible to have CanadIan April 79’ fj40 body mount locations more closely align with pre-79’? I have Only a single body mount Perch on the rear frame above the axle and 4 body mount locations on the rear most frame above the bumper. frame and body numbers match.

1612249573167.jpeg

The two body mount locations on the 1/79+ frame are easy to identify. There are larger than just a bolt hole and are reinforced with heavy ring around the holes. Prior frames used four body mounts with four hole just large enough for the bolts. Forty years in Canada possible the rear frame member was replaced with an aftermarket piece or one from an earlier cruiser. If you still not sure could get a picture of both.

yes exactly... you’d think that diagram is what I would have. And this is the problem... it isn’t. I’ll post some pics.

The two body mount locations on the 1/79+ frame are easy to identify. There are larger than just a bolt hole and are reinforced with heavy ring around the holes. Prior frames used four body mounts with four hole just large enough for the bolts. Forty years in Canada possible the rear frame member was replaced with an aftermarket piece or one from an earlier cruiser. If you still not sure could get a picture of both.
I looked for any sign of mods done to the frame... I don’t see any other than the rear 4 rear cross mounts above the bumper. Everything appears to be solid hard rubber... good god there is room for improvement there.
appreciate the feedback.

I looked for any sign of mods done to the frame... I don’t see any other than the rear 4 rear cross mounts above the bumper. Everything appears to be solid hard rubber... good god there is room for improvement there.
appreciate the feedback.

What I believe your calling the bumper is the rear frame member. On this two I shaped pieces bolt on called bumperettes. Does your rear frame member have the two large holes with what looks like a large fender washer? Does your rear sill have two holes above those in the frame with plugs in them?

P1110639.jpg

on the rear sill, no plugs to get access to the bolts.
P1110634.jpg
above is the body mount just forward of the rear wheel arch.
P1110635.jpg

P1110636.jpg

you can see there isn't a 2nd perch for the body mount aft of the rear wheel. and further back you can see the 4 body mounts attaching to the aft most section of the frame.

Last edited:
the rear sill has been changed out, that is not the factory unit. looks like hockey pucks for body mounts, EH!

I think your shackles are upside down also

i think you are right... puck.

yes on the never ending list to change the shackles. PO changed all springs, shocks (SkyJacker) and shackles (unknown make) ... it is new to me.

You have some aftermarket tub. Mine is quite similar (Teseven). The frame mounts above the rear axle are self made (there should be not bolt/hole in that bracket), the pair of those are missing, should be there where the transverse housing goes below the bed as you already noticed.

4 hockey pucks under the rear sill?🥴

Last edited:
Where is the fuel tank, in the cab or under the cab? While not 100% stock the ribs on the floor look more like the E-12/78. 1/79+ look more like corrugated metal (multiple rims). 1/79+ used fewer body mount locations. Fuel tank was under the front seats.

You can see it under the cab in the picture.

Okay I see it. Must be an interesting tub. Have a 82 tub and frame here as well as a few pre 1/79 cruisers. Believe the missing body mount in the back is for a pre 1/79. Wondering if this was a pieces together tub from different years? Never seen 1/79 tub with that pattern on the rear floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom