79’ FJ40 Accel. Pump boot. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FJ40 79' with Aisan 21100-61101. I rebuilt the carb last year with a SOR 042-03h along with the secondary diaphragm 042-16d and had it running fairly good. also changed out an inop idle solenoid.... it did sit most of the winter but was running again fine this spring with a new fuel pump and filter.
now the problem i'm having is i was out for a drive one day about a month ago (had been running great for a couple of months) and after about a 30min drive i again had the dreaded idle issue where it would die occasionally when coming to stop but not always. this has now persisted for about a month without any change. i checked the idle solenoid and it is working fine. i removed the carb and noticed the accel. pump boot is almost completely destroyed. it didn't even last a year.... bellows are all cracked :(
so with a boot in this sort of condition cause an idle problem? i'm thinking not but needed to ask.

E93FCA05-0699-487F-A1BE-EB6159854481.jpeg

Last edited:
Is all your emissions stuff still in place? If so, your emissions control module probably has some cracked solder joints on the circuit board. There are posts on Mud about this. That accelerator pump boot can still be had OEM. I’ll see if I can dig up the part number.

Thanks @fjc-man , just noticed my one year rebuilt boot part is already crapped out - time for another one.

No all the emissions bits have been removed.

The torn boot wont effect anything but it will allow debris into the carb.

also cheaper boots and ethanol gas can be an issue. you can buy OEMunit of CityRacer

It’s pretty unlikely that boot has anything to do with it dying. Does it have the original distributor and ignitor?
Yes I’m pretty sure only dis is original

Did your runs noticeably different with crapped out boot?
Seems to run rougher until engine warms up, though I'm also running down a vacuum leak to either the exhaust manifold or EGR pipe connection. Ordering a boot from dealer tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom