79 4 speed and t case into a 71 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
can i use the same t case "under dash big knob lever shifter thingy"...or is the 79's different??
if they have a floor shifter for the t case do i have to use it that way or will it bolt up to my t case shifter?

also...if i swap the 4 speed but keep my 4.11 gears, will it make highway driving easier on it or is the rpm-cruise speed going to be about the same as with my 3 speed? its at about 2500 rpm's at about 60 or 65.....i think.
id like to keep my gears if i could.

yes you can still use the dash hi lo lever but you need to make it 4 1/2 " longer i just cut and welded mine. No, on lower rpm's the top gear is 1:1 in both trannys

so the 4th gear isnt like a highway gear? it would still rev at the same rpm's at the same speeds?
whats the use of a 4 speed then?

Yes the 4spd has the same final gearing as the 3spd. You will gain no top speed with the change. The 4spd is much better than the 3spd. You get an extra gear, which makes the ratios closer and offer a smoother transition. The 4speed also has a lower 1st gear than the 3spd. and first gear is snycronized! :D

Transmission Gears gear ratios
Toyota H42 N/A 4 N/A N/A 3.555, 2.292, 1.410 1.000
Toyota J30 N/A 3 N/A N/A 2.757, 1.691, 1.000

Last edited:
so the first gear is even LOWER!! daaang. that might be awesome!!!

i like the first gear being synched too...much easier in town with all the stoplights.

so for the ultra crawl gear i could keep my 4.11's huh...might be a cool setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom