79 2f FJ40 water pump on 77 2f FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Because the 77 -78 water pump with oil cooler is no longer available (per CruiserDan), the 79 water pump was available/offered with the question of compatibility. CDan confirmed the bolt holes to the block are the same and the pulley holes are the same (therefore clutch should mount). So what is the difference and will that difference prevent the use of the 79 on the 77?

I searched a bit but never saw this question or answer.

Thanks,

John

did you try Napa or such for a reman?

I found my local parts store had the correct 77 water pump. yes from toyota its dead.

I think the 79 is longer or shorter than the 77

On CCOt's website they show two water pump lengths 5 5/8" and 6 5/8" for the years 75-76. I'm not sure how those dimensions compare to other years.

Mr. Landpimp how does your 82 compare to your 78? That looks to be the same comparison I am drawing.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

John

I am not near my cruiser now, but I will try to take a gander.

John

JJB77FJ40 said:
On CCOt's website they show two water pump lengths 5 5/8" and 6 5/8" for the years 75-76. I'm not sure how those dimensions compare to other years.

Mr. Landpimp how does your 82 compare to your 78? That looks to be the same comparison I am drawing.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

John

I just picked up the Autozone pump and for $89 it included the clutch and double pulley (I wasn't expecting the clutch and pulley). It looks to be the same Japanese pump that CCOT offers. However CCOT is GMB and the Autozone is NPW.

Thanks,

John

damn, i'm gonnna be the man on this one.....

the 40's all have the same length pump, the piggies have the other one, not sure which is which though.

the 79 WILL bolt right up, i know, i just did it this past weekend.

what it has is an "extra" port on it for the oil cooler. i don't have a cooler...yet. what i did was take a piece of 3/4(.75) inch hose with a 3/4" bolt in the other end, to "stub off" that extra port, till i get the cooler tied in.

JJB77FJ40 said:
I just picked up the Autozone pump and for $89 it included the clutch and double pulley (I wasn't expecting the clutch and pulley). It looks to be the same Japanese pump that CCOT offers. However CCOT is GMB and the Autozone is NPW.

Thanks,

John

Sorry for the sthuuupid question but what is GMB and NPW?

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited:
Ed,

No I'm not trying to impress you........I dont know acronyms either. The GMB and NPW were embossed on the pumps.

There are no stupid questions ......only stupid people that ask them. Just kidding, I'm in the same boat.

Now I don't need the clutch and pulley so should I get the 79 Toyota and, as someone once said "Feed Cruiserdan's dogs". I have an oil cooler.

Thanks,

John

I just bought a new OEM waterpump with the oil cooler outlet and thought I was getting the one for the fan clutch, but....it was the old bolt pattern for the direct drive 6-blade fan, so now I have to get the one for the clutch fan as I already have the clutch and the fan, so why not, eh?
I just figgered that the initials meant different manufacturers and one might be better than the other. Like Japanese vs Chinamanese vs Korean vs Taiwanese.
Anyway, If I can't return the OEM, it will be fo' sale.

GL

Ed
I'll go major mine...6 and a little less than 1/4"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom