79+ 2F Engine Block

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by McGruff44, Jul 12, 2005.

1. McGruff44

McGruff44

First off can anyone tell me if I can swap a 79+ 2F engine block for my 75 2F? Will all of my 75 2F parts bolt onto the 79+ block. I want to add a factory power steering pump and factory AC to my rig. If so, does anyone in the SoCal area have a 79+ engine block for sale thats in decent shape?
    Thanks for the help,
    Vern

2. SpaceGhost

SpaceGhost

Yes you can swap them, everything you already have will fit.

3. Texican

Texican s-Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Has anyone ever tried drilling a tapping an early bloc for the OEM pump.....?
    Although now that I think about it, I would rather have a Saginaw pump by at least 100%

4. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I thought about it recently.

You just talked me out of it. A saganaw pump is far better and easy to mount.

5. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

Yes, there have been several done round here... Toyota had one done (bought a block from us to replace the one they destroyed in a customers rig, I guess you do have to add oil :D)...

The other was done during a rebuild, a local machine shop did the work, not sure how deep they drilled them though, the same material should be there, but risky IMHO

I prefer Saginaw too, especially mod'ed pumps :D

6. FJ40Jim

FJ40Jim The Cruiser Whisperer SILVER Star

Media:
    Vern,
    Yes, all the 75 guts will swap into a 79-later block. The only thing on the block that is any different is the location of the oil sender, it wanders around from block to filter base to oil cooler to filter base, through the years. They oughta put a leash on the thing.

But since you ask, I'd suggest just getting a complete 81-later 2F w/ the factory PS holes and oil cooler and clutch fan and close chamber head and 3-piece exh manifolds and lightweight valvetrain and electronic ignition and vacuum advance distributor and....
    :cheers:

7. McGruff44

McGruff44

Thanks everyone. I was going to rebuild the engine so I would have the block stripped down anyway. I have seen the Saginaw pump brackets for sale but wasn't sure of the Saginaws performance. So it sounds to me that everone prefers the Saginaw pump over the stock pump. Is this because it performs better and/or is it easier to find and buy?
    I wanted to put the power steering gear in or near the stock location (more or less to keep it somewhat stock looking)
    Thanks again for the advise.
    Vern

8. Texican

Texican s-Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    All of the above, plus it's way cheaper up front and if it needs replaced...........If you don't have a smog pump get the bracket that mounts it low next to the Motor mount.
    Butch

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.