78 Troopy flip top overlander (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice! I cant wait to fit all these great little extras to mine!

Mate if your troopy is also 1Hzzzzzz powered(like mine) then I suspect fitting a cruise controll will be a bit like fitting a racing saddle to a donkey ?
:p

It is, so maybe another "extra" will be another motor, or a turbo at least. :deadhorse:
Nice imagery of a racing donkey! The 1HZ isn't all that bad, and it will get the Troopy up to highway speed happily enough. With or without boosting the induction with a turbo there is a case to be made for cruise control on the 1HZ. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm just curious and don't know much the topic..

But you will think the tiny layer of metal in the roof serves to "Square out" the rectangular structure, plus cutting the small beams will make the walls of the troopy come in a out..

Do they make Gussets, reinforcement, provisions, tension straps/wires, whatever to account for the lack of structure, for example a convertible is usually heavier than the same car with the roof because it need to be reinforced at the bottom with much heavier materials (think TRellis instead of heavy beam)

Any broken/hard to open windows, funky ripples on the paint, gaps on doors..

Ps: Your truck is my favorite of all of them and with that Pop up, Wowsers, so awesome..

G'day Patineto, the body on the Troopy is not a structural component the same way as the body of a more modern 4x4 is. The Troopy body is, more or less, a "superstructure" built on the chassis. The Alu-Cab flip top maintains the integrity of the body "shape" and rigidity because it has a frame that is bolted and glued into place. The cut is above the gutter line and the main structural components around the windscreen, door pillars and the rear door frame are left undisturbed.

It is pretty much as rigid as it was with the original roof. Sliding windows move freely, the wind up windows are the same, and all of the "shut lines" on the body panels and around the doors are unchanged.

The flip top is all aluminium and weighs about 120 kg, and my guess is that the section of steel roof that was cut off weighed about 50 kg. The overall net extra weight on the top of the Troopy is about the same as adding a roof top tent to a standard vehicle.

I see that you are in SLC; what a great place to live. We were there for a vacation in Jan/Feb of this year, and were staying in Cottonwood Heights. We rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee and skied the resorts in the canyons (Solitude, Alta, Snowbird), as well as Sundance, Powder Mountain and Snow Basin. It's now on the bucket list to get back there in summer and take a 4WD into the Moab and across to Wyoming to Yellow Stone and the Grand Tetons. Who knows, we might even put the Troopy on a ship and do a "grand tour" of the USA and Canada - maybe after I retire...

G'day Patineto, the body on the Troopy is not a structural component the same way as the body of a more modern 4x4 is. The Troopy body is, more or less, a "superstructure" built on the chassis. The Alu-Cab flip top maintains the integrity of the body "shape" and rigidity because it has a frame that is bolted and glued into place. The cut is above the gutter line and the main structural components around the windscreen, door pillars and the rear door frame are left undisturbed.

It is pretty much as rigid as it was with the original roof. Sliding windows move freely, the wind up windows are the same, and all of the "shut lines" on the body panels and around the doors are unchanged.

The flip top is all aluminium and weighs about 120 kg, and my guess is that the section of steel roof that was cut off weighed about 50 kg. The overall net extra weight on the top of the Troopy is about the same as adding a roof top tent to a standard vehicle.

In Colombia the red cross and the UN import a bunch of them and by a "Miracle" most of them end up as private hands (same as Peugeot 504 wagons and long bend windows on the ceiling right hand drive land rovers before them..

They were never as fast or popular as the other toyota's (lack of parts, heritage, power, lack of doors) but man they were indestructible and able to carry almost as much as econoline, just massive interior space, I can not imagine how much better it will be with the new top (I'm fascinated by them and had watch pretty much every youtube video that you can find)

I understand the "Super structure/cabin on top" Concept but still even the strongest stiffest frames bend and twist), for example one time I was wondering why pick-up trucks had such a gap in between the cabin and the "Platon" and I almost lost my fingers, lucky I was only 8.

You be surprise how much a massive steel structure can bend..

Ps: I have two real Dakar experiences with motorcycles and ones I help with some kamas layout, ergonomic set ups (from one year to the next) the newer ones are actually made to bend and twist on purpose, apparently they track better, they are faster and the pilots and cargo don't get as beat up)..
I see that you are in SLC; what a great place to live. We were there for a vacation in Jan/Feb of this year, and were staying in Cottonwood Heights. We rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee and skied the resorts in the canyons (Solitude, Alta, Snowbird), as well as Sundance, Powder Mountain and Snow Basin. It's now on the bucket list to get back there in summer and take a 4WD into the Moab and across to Wyoming to Yellow Stone and the Grand Tetons. Who knows, we might even put the Troopy on a ship and do a "grand tour" of the USA and Canada - maybe after I retire...

I don't really know for how much longer we are going to stay here, but I will love to swap/invite house with you guys, we have been to Australia (sydney as a base camp to be specific) and wow what a country, our girls love the zoo, the people are super nice, they have pride on their city's, very respectful, feels super safe still is very alive, intellectual and warm, I think is my favorite country so far (well sorry to say but New Zealand and new Zealanders are awesome too) love the pick up trucks with just the platform and how beat up and wasted they are, totally mules (well some of them the other ones I see and just bling) a

And then I know a ton of insane motorcycle guys that actually make their own parts and even bikes super resourceful and creative (I get tons of inspiration from them and we had collaborated in many way in a bunch of projects, mostly modified BMW AIrhead GS's) and plus they ride like is no tomorrow (One of my dear friends lost his leg (one just over the knee the other almost gone to the hip) on a train accident from very young age and after almost 40 years still rides every day, makes their own very forward thinking stuff) I guess some of the beauties of not having every part available at the ring of a phone I guess, plus oh my they stuff cost a lot of money down there..

I will love to do a "Desert crossing" but sincerely I be scared, I have become a wuss over the years..

Thanks for the inside on the truck, I have not seeing one in 25 years so I don't remember them that well

G'Day Patineto, I agree, any box will flex without cross bracing. This photo shows the detail of two of the four brackets that are used to bolt the top to the body. The flip top frame is made up of 3 mm aluminium folded into a sort of "box-girder" arrangement - very rigid and very strong for the weight.View attachment 1309967
DSC_0073_4.JPG
The "captive nut" is a M8 rivnut set into the body where the former cross members were located.

View attachment 1309967

DSC_0072_4.JPG

The brackets are about 5mm thick. Here is a photo of the brackets:View attachment 1309972 View attachment 1309973
It looks very sound, so you truck does have some cross members..

Ps: I'm a Rivnut freak but I will suggest to spot weld some real nuts if is possible for long term reliability, riv-nuts and side loads don't get along that well, specially the aluminum ones....

Now the only thing you need is a projector to have "Movie night" inside the "Planetarium" ceiling.

Side example, this Pod is made of 2" composite laminate and even if is very rigid and extremely light for the size (280 kilos or so) the harmonics produced by the wind made the whole truck vibrate.

So we install tension cables from opposite corners of the cabin and kind of solved the problem.
pinhole%20camera%20073-L.jpg

And keep in mind is mounted on a fully floating three point attachment system like the Unicat's and a few German dakar trucks (Now copied by almost everybody, because it works..)

Back mount on a very light, very rigid aluminum sub platform.
pinhole%20camera%20042-XL.jpg

Front mount is on the center.
pinhole%20camera%20047-XL.jpg

Even this chassis flex and is very serious war duty construction..
40060091_ciziC-O-XL.jpg

Hi Alan!
We haven't heard a word from you for SUCH a long time? I hope you are doing well. Have you decided to retire and take that trip sooner rather than later?
Stay well and send us a few updates!

Hello Troopadoer, not since August!

September and October were just quiet months with nothing to contribute and then November and December have been flat out with exams, finalising results and graduations - our academic year starts in Feb/March and ends in November/December - much the same as South Africa unis I imagine.

I did drive the Troopy from Melbourne to Brisbane for a conference in the first week of December - about 3500km round trip, all on sealed roads. It was relaxing to get out on the road and see some of the inland wheat-belt areas during harvest. I also stopped at the Dubbo open range Zoo where there is a rhino breeding program - closest I'll get to rhino without flying to South Africa. It was a solo trip and very focused, so I stayed in caravan parks and ate all meals (except breakfast) in restaurants and roadhouses, but it was a break from routine none the less. A couple of days on the way up were in excess of 40 degrees, and it didn't fall below 30 overnight. Thank heavens for aircon!

I did fit a 270 degree awning about a month ago, a Foxwing from Rhino Rack (Foxwing Awning - #31100 | Rhino-Rack) it's not freestanding in the way that the Alu-Cab awning is, but it was half the price and a lot lighter. I can put up with poles and guy ropes to save a few hundred dollars.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy 2018.

Hello Troopadoer, not since August!

September and October were just quiet months with nothing to contribute and then November and December have been flat out with exams, finalising results and graduations - our academic year starts in Feb/March and ends in November/December - much the same as South Africa unis I imagine.

I did drive the Troopy from Melbourne to Brisbane for a conference in the first week of December - about 3500km round trip, all on sealed roads. It was relaxing to get out on the road and see some of the inland wheat-belt areas during harvest. I also stopped at the Dubbo open range Zoo where there is a rhino breeding program - closest I'll get to rhino without flying to South Africa. It was a solo trip and very focused, so I stayed in caravan parks and ate all meals (except breakfast) in restaurants and roadhouses, but it was a break from routine none the less. A couple of days on the way up were in excess of 40 degrees, and it didn't fall below 30 overnight. Thank heavens for aircon!

I did fit a 270 degree awning about a month ago, a Foxwing from Rhino Rack (Foxwing Awning - #31100 | Rhino-Rack) it's not freestanding in the way that the Alu-Cab awning is, but it was half the price and a lot lighter. I can put up with poles and guy ropes to save a few hundred dollars.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy 2018.
Really good to hear from you!

I think one of the greatest blessings of having a car like the Troopy is in the fact that one can "break from routine" so easily. It doesn't have to be a great adventure to still be an awesome trip which adds so much to our lives.

May your Christmas be blessed!

Love this and still wanna convert my HJ45 troopy to a pop-top but I'm in the states (the South) so nearly impossible to find a shop who can. I love the Alu-Cab but Takka may be the only one avail around here. ANyone know? Nelson - Athens, GA..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom