IH '78 Traveller 2WD to 4WD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've spent a bunch of time searching, but haven't come across anything definitive on how to convert my 2WD Traveller to a 4WD. Specs, as I currently know them:

Dana 44 rear with 3.54 gearing.
T-15 3-speed
304 motor

I assume a Dana 20 xfer case (2-speed) is what I need to look for.
I assume a Dana 44 front axle w/ discs is what I need to look for.
Questions:

Do I want closed or open knuckle on the axle?
Any suggestions on the best place to find a used axle assembly in Pacific NW?
Can I bolt up the Dana 20 to the trans or do I have to jump through a bunch of hoops?
Which driveline do I need to track down? Traveller specific or will any scout II front driveline for manual 3/4-speed transmission work?

Thanks for your response.

GR

I've spent a bunch of time searching, but haven't come across anything definitive on how to convert my 2WD Traveller to a 4WD. Specs, as I currently know them:

Dana 44 rear with 3.54 gearing.
T-15 3-speed
304 motor

I assume a Dana 20 xfer case (2-speed) is what I need to look for.
I assume a Dana 44 front axle w/ discs is what I need to look for.
Questions:

Do I want closed or open knuckle on the axle?
Any suggestions on the best place to find a used axle assembly in Pacific NW?
Can I bolt up the Dana 20 to the trans or do I have to jump through a bunch of hoops?
Which driveline do I need to track down? Traveller specific or will any scout II front driveline for manual 3/4-speed transmission work?

Thanks for your response.

GR

It would be best to get everything from a 4WD Traveler, then it’d bolt right in. It would be open knuckle. The back of your transmission is different and won’t accept the transfer case, so you need transmission & transfer case. The only thing that would be different if you got everything from a Scout II is the rear driveshaft length. You could simply take your driveshaft to a driveshaft shop and have it shortened. Binder Boneyard is in Oregon, and might have what you need.

Since you need to change the transmission anyway, this would be the time to swap to whatever transmission you prefer.

Thank-you, Gentlemen.

I assume the transmission would have to be a T-19 4-speed. Thanks for the tip on Binder Boneyard. I've been wondering where the local place is.

WSO (We Stumble On)

GR

I assume the transmission would have to be a T-19 4-speed.

It wouldn’t have to be, but that’s the preferred option for off roaders. Well, the T19 wide is the preferred option for off roaders. There’s also a T19 close ratio.

Want to have a highway rig. Rock crawling is not my thing so I guess I'm looking for a T-19 close ratio?

Were all of the traveller 4wd's T-19?

I found a close-ratio T-19, transfer case, and bell housing at Binder Boneyard. I haven't had them inspected, but I think Dan picked me out a couple good ones. We'll see. Next step is to get out the sandblaster and rattle can and make them all pretty.

Meanwhile, I get to track down a front Dana 44 and driveline.

The PO put a stiff clutch pack in the rig. Stiff enough where I have to push pretty hard against the back of the seat with my butt in order to get the pedal to go to the floor (that's a subject for another day). Does anyone know of a means to convert the linked clutch to a hydraulic version. If not, I may have to just get a lighter clutch pack. I still have to find a way to get rid of about 2.5" of pedal travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom