78 to 68 swap parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
78 to 68 parts swap

I have a lead on a partss fj40 from 12/78. I am wanting the front axle but what other parts should I have an eye out for to improve mine.

i've got a 68 fj40. I'm SOA, with disc rear, stock f...thanks for an y advice

Will the axle bolt right on or do i need to swap 3rds?

Last edited:
Gears rato should be the same unless changed by PO, gearing went up in 79 IIRC. I hear 78 birfs are different but no big deal.

Myrle

Thanks, in that case I might keep the extra thirds and weld the spider gears and keep the spares.

12/78 would be a '79 model year. You might want to check the axle ratio. I don't know when it changed by month of production. Kinda depends on what you want to do with it. 3.70 gears give you slightly better highway speeds, so if that is the case, swap the whole drivetrain. Are you getting the 4 speed, too?

More info?......

Ed

Can my 3rds bolt srt8 up to the 78 axles so i can retain my 4.10s?

Degnol-The 78 has firewall forward with stock 2f. All drivetrain. both axles. tub is shot and no top or windshield frame.

landbruiser1-I can have too many parts, I am east of beaumont tx and still have 7 trees i my front yard blockin all access to my back shops/fj40. I cant legally park the flat bed and FJ in the street....or can I???hehe

Last edited:
mxtaco48 said:
Can my 3rds bolt srt8 up to the 78 axles so i can retain my 4.10s?

Degnol-The 78 has firewall forward with stock 2f. All drivetrain. both axles. tub is shot and no top or windshield frame.

landbruiser1-I can have too many parts, I am east of beaumont tx and still have 7 trees i my front yard blockin all access to my back shops/fj40. I cant legally park the flat bed and FJ in the street....or can I???hehe

Well, you might be lucky and have the finespline pinions and 4.11's. I would personally swap in the whole drivetrain. That's basically what I'm doing with my '66.

ED

2f is a bit more updated than your 68, also, semi electronic ignition. don't forget the four speed tranny...shifts so much nicer than three speed. take the hardtop and you get the flip out windows. if you like amby doors better, snag those also. keep the four speed tcase and swap your three speed guts into it for a stronger case and floor shift.

your old pinion flange should bolt right onto your new 78' axle. At least it worked that way when I put a 76' axle on my 67'.

I believe he will have fine spline pinion flanges with a late '78/79. If you have the whole drivetrain, why are we discussing what of the old fits with what of the new(er)?
Take a-l-l o-f i-t.

JMO,
Ed

Degnol said:
12/78 would be a '79 model year. You might want to check the axle ratio. I don't know when it changed by month of production.
Ed
This is incorrect. Toyota apparently was having trouble meeting the tightening noose of US emissions regulations for the 1979 year.
Additionally, they were undergoing a fairly extensive redesign of the 40 series.
What it means is that US cruisers up through 12/78 are labeled as "This vehicle meets emissions specifications for 1978 model year".
Everything changed w/ 1/79 production. Defective carb, emission spaghetti pipe w/ HAC and decel fuel cut, 3.70 gear, big birfs & steer arms, square bezel, big fuel tank under floor....

A 12/78 FJ40 should have no spaghetti pipe on intake manifold, no HAC, small tank under pass seat, fine spline 4.11 R&P, early front discs w/ small birfs & arms...

There is a rumor of a FJ40 w/ 12/78 build date and 1979 features, but I have never seen it. :confused:

And no Ed, I am not intentionally bustin' on you again. ;p

albee said:
your old pinion flange should bolt right onto your new 78' axle. At least it worked that way when I put a 76' axle on my 67'.
That only works for E-12/77 axles. 1/78-newer are fine spline pinion, so the early flange won't swap onto the 12/78 diff.

"And no Ed, I am not intentionally bustin' on you again. "

First my wiff, and now you.

Sniff.

Ed

If the new axle is fine spline, what can I do to make it work?

The reason I cant take it ALL is cause my house was hit by hurricane rita and I dont have power...i also have 11 trees down and nowere to store a whole fj40...
Also, I have a good running F, So why s plit with it? Also if i got the tranny and t-case, can they bolt up to the F engine? I know there are tech sections write ups....so just a question on how simple it is for newb

It will all bolt up to the F. Leave the finespline yoke on there and swap out the front output yoke from the '78 to your old TC, use the 4 speed bellhousing, driveshaft, front axle. Salvage as many parts from the '78 as possible. Very desirable, even if you don't want to use them.

Jeeze,

Ed

I get the point, take it ALLL...believe me, if i had the room i'd have it all, but i'll probably strip only the things i can use..thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom