'78 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time...recently acquired a 1978 fj40 2 months ago. Pretty much stock...original motor, 4 speed trans. and aisan 2 bbl carb...not perfect by any means but well taken care of. Right now I am having a problem with what I believe to be a carburetor issue...looking for some direction. Starts every time...good idle...after running for about 5 miles it just quits like its out of gas. Its starts up again but you have to push the throttle pedal to keep it running...it will then run rough but will not idle. After about 10-15 minutes it clears up and runs fine for another 5-10 miles?? My mechanic friend says it appears the mechanical fuel pump is working fine, no blockages with filter and he says the original tank looks good. Just looking for some input...and maybe some direction. Thx for the help. I live in a very small town in Wy. and it can be difficult to find mechanics who have experience with older vehicles.

I’m new myself so I’ve little to offer aside from the fact that the resources here and all over the net are so robust if you have to do it yourself you’ll be able to. Doesn’t sound like a terribly serious issue though. Have you checked the state of your fuel tank, fuel line, plugs, etc?

Also, good luck.

#1 tune up
#2 carb rebuild
#3 what dizzy do you have?
#4 do you have a tach? timing light?
#5 TTIUWP
#6 Welcome to Mud (make sure your bezel is on correctly)

TTIUWP.jpg

Full tune-up:
Cap/rotor
replace points
plugs
plug wires (if bad)
air cleaner
fuel filter
pcv valve
clean out pcv hose
clean/carb rebuild if needed
check vac
lube all zerts
oil filter
oil
check fluid levels replace if needed
adjust timing
adjust carb/idle

quick-o tune-up
check and clean as needed
replace as needed
file and regap points
clean and regap plugs
clean cap
clean rotor
clean out pcv
check fuel filter
check/clean out air filter
check fluid levels
adjust timing
adjust carb if needed

probably missed a few things.... but... you get the idea

If your not the one doing the work.... things add up $$$

Last edited:
Welcome to the addiction :flipoff2:
JP

Danny, many problems with factory carbs, just read all the post regarding that subject here on Mud. Best to just consider a fuel injection conversion, GM TBI, FiTech, or Holley Sniper EFI conversions all available for the Landcruisers- - -easy deal.

Everybody thx for the input...greatly appreciated...we'll do on the suggestions. I will post some pix's in the near future. Bought the FJ40 in Idaho...your right mrboatman about the addiction...its all good though...thx again

Here are a few pic's...the problem I was having when it appeared to be running out of gas intermittently was associated with the fuel solenoid. After replacing float / seat then cleaning 2 bbl carb the problem continued...then replaced the fuel solenoid and it seams to have fixed it.. Thx again for input....I will follow up on the other suggestions...

#1 tune up
#2 carb rebuild
#3 what dizzy do you have?
#4 do you have a tach? timing light?
#5 TTIUWP
#6 Welcome to Mud (make sure your bezel is on correctly)

View attachment 2007394
Thx for your recommendations...picked up a timing lite, tech etc...looks like my problem was the fuel solenoid inside the 2 nfl carb was hanging up...Here are couple pic`s of the new addition

Nice rig, also a ‘78 owner. Does your carb cooling fan work? Hard starting when hot without one.

Having my original carb rebuilt by @FJ40Jim made mine run like I never imagined it would. Just a FYI. Yes, welcome to the addiction/madness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom