1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'78 fj40 won't idle

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by montana78, Aug 17, 2006.

1. montana78

montana78

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]My '78 fj40 won't maintain an idle. I can start the engine and can keep it going if I rev it. If I depress the pedal half way it cycles from low to high rpms. The fuel level in the float bowl remains at halfway. The emission system was removed by a previous owner and all open vaccum links have been plugged. I have checked these and all remaining vaccum links and haven't found a leak. I replaced the needle and adjusted the float on the carb a few months ago before this problem showed up. Is this a fuel pump problem, or something else? Note: This problem arose suddenly while driving down the road. The engine suddenly lost power and I had to depress the gas pedal to the floor to get it to go.
    [/FONT]

2. dfmorse

dfmorse

The first thing I would do is to check for an inline fuel filter; install a new one if u have one. How old is the fuel pump; a new fuel pump for $125 from ur dealer may solve the problem.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">