78 FJ40 Wiper Motor Alternative (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The park switch on my stock motor was not working. I started to restore it and found one of the copper leaf contactors under the gear housing was broken. During that time I did some research on a aftermarket wiper motor. I found that one guy used a 00-04 Volve S40 wiper motor but it looked like a little more work than I wanted to do. So I went to my local auto parts store and started opening boxes.

I believe I found a great alternative, and so far has taken minimal work to get it to fit. You can use the stock mounting plate and motor cover. You need the larger wiper motor cover like on a 78 fj40.
I purchased this motor of ebay for $20 shipped Super Auto WPM1836X Windshield Wiper Motor, Front | eBay using part # 43-1836 which is a wiper motor for newer VW beatles.

This is the motor;

The mounting plate with holes moved about 1/16" towards driver side.

Motor Mount Posts. I removed about 1/8" of each post so the motor cleared the cover.

After I did the above I was able to mount the motor using the stock mounting plate and stock wiper motor cover.

Now I am at the point, where i need to connect the motor shaft to the linkage. The shaft is large and a hair longer. I think I will just ream out the hole on the ball link that connects to the motor shaft. I will update the thread once I successfully finish that and figure out the wiring.

Have you bench tested the motor using the OEM switch and harness? IIRC the toyota switch will provide the ground(-12), and the OEM motor will always be hot(+12). The alternative wiper motor (bosch) that I used required the switch to provide the hot(+12) and the motor was grounded(-12). It was an easy rewiring job once I figured things out. Good luck.

Have you bench tested the motor using the OEM switch and harness? IIRC the toyota switch will provide the ground(-12), and the OEM motor will always be hot(+12). The alternative wiper motor (bosch) that I used required the switch to provide the hot(+12) and the motor was grounded(-12). It was an easy rewiring job once I figured things out. Good luck.

This is what i got so far.

the ground is to the right on the Blue wire and is soldered or welded to the gear cover.

Blue is Low Speed
Red is Hi Speed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom