'78 FJ40-wha dis ting fo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting to check and replace a few things on the 78 FJ40 that my wife and I just picked up here in Atlanta.
Noticed there was not a belt for the air pump, so I went out and picked one up, as well as a few other simple maintenance items.
My first couple of questions here....What is the air pump used for? Once it is in operation, what will my FJ do differently? Is it the same thing as an air compressor? (I dont have A/C in this thing)
And, gonna do the fluids this weekend and planning on full syn for the engine oil. Any opinions on using synthetic oil instead of conventional oil in a 27 year old, 130k mile tight engine?

Once my service manual gets here, I will have it as my bedside read.

Thanks

HawkDriver said:
Got a pic? You talkin about the smog pump or an AC type compressor?

Might be the smog thingy. Dont have a pic of the air pump that i am inquiring about.

Is the engine desmogged or not? Do you need it smogged or not? its probably an emmisions related component that if there was no belt means it was desmogged.

All I know is this, if it is smogged and working properly dont fawk with it.

If it is desmogged and running like sh!t then you need to have someone look at it.

if it is desmogged and runing fine dont fawk with it. I know from experience that if it is de smogged improperly it will run like crap. Desmogging the eninge only provides marginal performance if any and that too is debatable.

Desmogged...Smogged....uh?
All I know is that there is not a belt attached to it. AND since it smokes on start up and it only runs at half choke to full choke, thought I can get lucky and this could fix my problem.

smogged = your engine compartment looks like a pile of spaghetti

desmogged = you can see your engine

take a pic of the engine, both sides, and front view

While I am asking. What is item 'A' for? It is not plugged into anything. And item 'B', there is a large green electrical connector behind the alternator. What should the green connector be plugged into?

It is a smog pump and you dont need it. You could use a carb if it only runs at half to full choke.

HawkDriver said:
This is a smog pump, does it look like this or an AC comp like this.

Yep, smog pump.
If i am 'desmogged', can I just take it out and leave it out, since there is not a pulley operating it?

You could take it out but what's the point. Just leave it, you'll have less junk lying around.

resized. better?

Sorry dont have better pics. Just using the ones from the original ebay auction.
Have not graduated to a digital camera or camera phone yet. i prefer the flintstone method.
FJ40la.jpg

That pumps air into the exhaust to lower the emissions output (I think) It was a 70's thing. I disconnected mine and put steel plugs in the exhaust manifold where the lines used to be. Oregon doesn't require a 74 to be smog tested. (in the county I live in)

Yeah, A is the voltage regulator, Im guessing the green plug in or around B is the plug for the dizzy. Is it plugged into anything, like the ignitor? strapped to the coil.

HawkDriver said:
Not really, still dont see this green plug.

Sorry, but the actual thing is not in the pic. Best I had to go on is to point out it's approx location.
Long, thick wires, thin portion goes directly to alternator. thicker portion with green connection just hangs there, behind the battery.
Maybe I will wait for the manual. For now, the FJ runs and is driveable.

Thanks.

zetasig said:
Yeah, A is the voltage regulator, Im guessing the green plug in or around B is the plug for the dizzy. Is it plugged into anything, like the ignitor? strapped to the coil.

Nope, A and B are not plugged into anything...yet the FJ runs, sorta well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom