'78 FJ40-wha dis ting fo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HawkDriver said:
Sorry no help, dont remember what my stock setup was. There are alot of wire connectors that don't go to things that are hanging around different places even on stock rigs it seems.

Anyone else???

Maybe they are for the TRANSFORMERS buttons. Push the button and the whole thing morphs into a cool giant robot that crushes things. Yep, I am sure that is what they are for.
(if you are atleast 30, you know what i am talking about...."more than meets the eye")

HMMMM Need some good close ups then, A could be a speed sensor. But really need clear shots.

Here's a pic of the stock '78 alternator. Don't know if this helps. let me know which wire and I'll trace it and take a pic .
Image02.jpg

Robert LaDuke said:
Here's a pic of the stock '78 alternator. Don't know if this helps. let me know which wire and I'll trace it and take a pic .

It might the the lower, thicker wire and connector. Mine is not plugged into anything, yet I can still drive around...and mine is very clean, so the original may not even be green.
Thank you for the good pic.

droopydawg said:
Maybe they are for the TRANSFORMERS buttons. Push the button and the whole thing morphs into a cool giant robot that crushes things. Yep, I am sure that is what they are for.
(if you are atleast 30, you know what i am talking about...."more than meets the eye")

Shiite, 30 whatcha talkin bout, they have the new movies out in blockbuster. 25 and I watched it, my 6 yo has quite a collection of em.

Here's a pic of the regulator. All the wires from the alternator go to the ignitor and coil area on the inside right fender. the main harness goes from there back to the firewall and the regulator. The FSM will make this all much clearer I'm sure.
Image04.jpg

Droopy, you have a GM alternator with a internal voltage regulator, the factory alt. used a external, and that green plug hanging down is a part of the old charging system that is no longer being used. Wrap it in electrical tape and forget about it.

Droopydawg:
Like Folsom said; a lot of the green connectors are not used. The one near the not stock alternator is probably for the air conditioner; which was optional on some 78-79 FJ40's. My '79 has the same arrangement.

Removing the smog pump belt was a quick fix for keeping the cruiser from making a lot of fart noises in deceleration.

If u look at the carb real close u can see sealed adjustment screws. If the seals are intack, that is a clue that no one has messed with the carb. Use some WD40 on the linkage to loosen thing up.

Spark wires appear to be stock; can't see the distrubutor. If it is stock the number on it will be similar to 19100-61101. U will see a double or single vacuum device near a green connector clip, that holds the single gray cable that goes to another green connector near the coil/ignitor. This is a two wire cable to supply pick up for the reluctance type distrubutor. This distributor has three screws holding the cap on and is water proof with vent hoses going to the carb area.

dfm

Schweeeeet!

Lots of great information. Thanks to you all!

It is now the next day. Last night, replaced the air filter, distributor cap and rotor. While doing do, I came across 4 more disconnected vacuum hoses ( 3 of the small thin black ones and 1 larger red one about 1 inch in diameter) reconnected and POOF, the FJ works like it is supposed to, with the choke all the way in and between 500 and 1000 rpms somewhere. Think it may have been the larger red hose...it connected to something at the base of the carb, driver side. Guess I can put that carb rebuild on the back burner for now.

Now we need new shocks...bad.
What do you recommend for more comfortable street riding capabilities, non-trail stuff?

droopydawg said:
Now we need new shocks...bad.
What do you recommend for more comfortable street riding capabilities, non-trail stuff?

Selling the Cruiser and buying a Cadillac.;)

Not Rancho shocks. Slinky Strips in between the leafs. Greasable pins and shackles.

Go with the OME suspension, it really does help on and off road. If ur just going to replace the shocks, just use Toyota shocks, they are good and cheap.

dfm

99.9% of the fun of Cruisers is doing everything yourself so I feel a little sheepish mentioning it, but you're close to Urban Land Cruisers...www.urbanlandcruisers.com
David (dd113 on this board) has a lot of good pratical info on his website and is a giant cruiser head. whether you have him do any work or not it's worth calling him, he'll steer you straight on suspension and can tell you about a couple cruiser clubs around Atlanta. just be sure to post the tips and tricks and solutions back here!

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom