‘78 FJ40, undercoating from the factory? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I spent some time this Sunday morning doing undercarriage cleanup using a degreaser called Purple Power, works really well, almost too well. It took paint off in some places🙄. What I noticed near the back of the vehicle it appeared to have original gray paint on the underside of the tub. This is an area where a PO had a long range aux tank installed and so I figure that area was quite undisturbed. Other areas under font fenders show red paint that appears original and some black undercoating AND that gray color. So this is a question for all the experts. We’re the areas under the body and fenders painted gray from the factory or stock color? In my case Freeborn Red. And was black undercoating added at the factory or just a PO’s addition later? Thanks any info appreciated. Below are some pics some under tub, some under fenders. Thanks guys.

3A2BA4CB-0D6B-4ED5-9C27-6ACB4A9063A6.jpeg

139C1A10-AF7D-4904-AD76-39BA99B6607D.jpeg

7BEFE73E-0C2B-43B8-8484-978FD425BB38.jpeg

D75E05CA-B1EE-4413-9B32-6B119368F092.jpeg

And a few more

9561BAFC-20D1-466F-A9EC-400C7AA15B2B.jpeg

6F6733FE-8FB0-43CE-ABF2-C3EA31FD8863.jpeg

E0CC6E48-08D5-45C7-99A4-C3A375C99563.jpeg

So I think a gray color was base coat and then the body color? Maybe John @Living in the Past , @GA Architect, and some of the other experts can chime in. Originality is important to me so appreciate everyone’s input. Thank you 👍

I’m definitely no expert but looks to me like the red under your fenders is overspray on top of the undercoat. Is that correct? Has your body re-sprayed?

My 1978 has the same body colour (beige) under the wheel arches/guards. Never been resprayed. The black spray seems to be a later addition.

Thanks all. Body is remarkably rust free as it is an Arizona 40. But need to get some paint under there.

Bought mine brand new and it was undercoated. I think by dealer. I will check window sticker tonight.

I think the primer color changed over the years. Some on here say red oxide is the stock primer. My '77 has never been resprayed and has a light yellow-ish primer. My '79 that I purchased new had grey primer.

Oh, and I have had great success using ZEP Super Penetrating fluid to soften undercoating.....but I'm not worried about maintaining the original paint/primer so I haven't taken much care in scraping the undercoating off. I let the ZEP soak in for 24 hours, hit it again to wet it then use a scrapper and it comes off nicely. And in my opinion is the best penetrating fluid - bar none- for removing rusty threaded hardware. It's kind of hard to find. I just bought a case of (12) cans for $99 to insure I won't run out for a long time.

I think the primer color changed over the years. Some on here say red oxide is the stock primer. My '77 has never been resprayed and has a light yellow-ish primer. My '79 that I purchased new had grey primer.

Oh, and I have had great success using ZEP Super Penetrating fluid to soften undercoating.....but I'm not worried about maintaining the original paint/primer so I haven't taken much care in scraping the undercoating off. I let the ZEP soak in for 24 hours, hit it again to wet it then use a scrapper and it comes off nicely. And in my opinion is the best penetrating fluid - bar none- for removing rusty threaded hardware. It's kind of hard to find. I just bought a case of (12) cans for $99 to insure I won't run out for a long time.
My ‘78 had grey primer below Freeborn red on my hardtop parts when I was refurbishing that. It is a ‘10/78 manu date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom