78 fj40 tow limits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at a 78 FJ40 but will need it to be able to tow an 18ft boat short distances. What are the tow weight limits for a pretty original, undisturbed fj40 wit about 78K actual miles?

What does a 18' boat weight and what is a short distance? Does it have to back it down a boat ramp or pull it out of the water up a steep ramp?

Towing capacity is roughly 3,000 lbs.

What does a 18' boat weight and what is a short distance? Does it have to back it down a boat ramp or pull it out of the water up a steep ramp?

Thanks. It is a Sea Ray 175 Sport which weighs 2100 lbs. Tow distance is 20 miles or less and the ramp is not steep. I currently have a 2013 Ridgeline but have been looking for an FJ40 for awhile. Being on Oahu they only come up for sale very, very infrequently. In fact I have not seen one on the road here in over 15 years. CJ's dominate. Mostly rental vehicles for tourists.

2100 for the boat only? Trailer is probably 300-500?

The problem isn't having enough power to move it. But with the FJ-40's very short wheelbase and not being that heavy to begin with, the trailer can push you around.

Trailer brakes would help. But guessing on you location I'm assuming you're backing the trailer into salt water and any brakes will probably have a limited life.

What is safe to tow by modern standard and road environment is a different question but as a legal value it seems low.

I know homologation varies from country to country but here in France a FJ40 has a legal towing capacity of 2665kg (5875lbs).
With the detail that here any trailer with a gross weight over 750kg (1653lbs) must have inboard brakes.

My boat (empty) and trailer are 2640 lbs on truck scale. I add my fishing box extra seats with storage under and my 150qt cooler full I am sure I am well over 3K lbs. I do have a LS and auto but I towed it previously with 2F 4spd it definitely wasnt a speed demon. I also have 4 wheel disc brakes so that helps stopping it. Never a issue and I have towed it multiple times to the coast 4 1/2 hours each way for salmon season.

If the weather is bad tho I do tow it quite often with the cummins

Last edited:
I would only tow that much for a few miles at sea level in a non-hilly area. Trailer brakes would be VERY nice to have.

The boat is in a dry storage yard right next to the ramp on Kaneohe Marine Corps Base Hawaii. Once a year I tow it to my home for deep cleaning and maintenance. Its a 20 mile trip on flat roads (2-lane blacktop) with a speed limit from 25 to 45 mph.

However, I do appreciate the varied opinions offered so far.

I’ve got a ‘74 40 with a 350 & 4 wheel disc brakes. I dragged a 5’ x 12’ tandem axle landscaping trailer all over town for months on end. It was about 1200 lbs empty & regularly it was 1800 lbs. I was so comfortable towing it that I’d almost forget it was there. The heaviest was 4000 lbs... no sweat.

Without trailer brakes I’d recommend limiting it to half the 40s weight for any distance or on wet roads. I’ve got a license to drive a tractor trailer, and have driven just about anything. I’m trained to drive an 80,000 lb rig that only has 60% of the braking force per pound of a passenger car. So I’d not recommend towing 4000 lbs with no brakes even though I’ve done it.

Oh well. I hesitated and ended up missing out on it.
There are a couple mud members in Hawaii. I’d try to connect up with them... they may be able to help you with your quest.

I know this is an old post, but I tried to find the most recent one on the subject. I pulled trailers for a living. Heavy 18' trailers with 3/4-ton standard cab trucks on the interstate and off for a route type of job. I also drove an 18-wheeler flatbed for a short while. I knew how to back a trailer before I had a permit to drive. I think I've established enough experiential credibility.

My dad bought a 1974 FJ40 from the dealer brand new when I was 2. It was the only car he ever bought brand new. I still have it today. We had a 14' x 4' trailer we used that we would pull behind it for camping. We also had an 85-horse fiberglass boat we'd drag to the lake about an hour and a half away with no problems. Dad kept the steering tight and when he and I (my 4 sisters were NOT allowed to help) loaded the trailer we balanced it carefully so the weight was at the right proportions. In my employment we'd do the same thing whether it's an 80,000lb semi or a 3/4 ton with a John Deere and a ton (literally) of seed on it plus various other equipment. It all had to be loaded carefully or you had to fight the rig at any speed above 45 or so.

While the 2F doesn't have much top end so you do have to let it grunt to pull heavy stuff, that is one question. The question of how much can an FJ40 pull? We've pulled a 9-ton trencher once that had surge brakes. We had to drop to low range at each stop and then go into high range after 4th+low. Then to stop he'd shift down until he got to first + high since you can't downshift the transfer case. It wasn't relaxing ... at all, but we did it. How my dad talked the company into letting him pull the thing I don't know. It was a different world ... the lawyers hadn't wrecked it for us yet.

Many have said the '40 is light. LOL compared to what? Not compared to a Cheep. The axles are both 3/4-ton size. If you swap to a full floating rear axle from an '80 you're set to carry some real tongue weight if you put some helper bags above the axles. They help with that factory squat and list anyway. If you've got multi-link in the rear ... I can't speak to that. I have zero experience there.

As many are saying, trailer brakes are important. Also, as has been said it isn't hard on the '40 or the trailer. The ones I installed on my trailer were simple magnetic brakes. Seems like those might do better in salt water than more complicated electric over hydraulic (if there is such a thing??) An empty '40 weighs around 3700lbs. Put gas, your peeps, and the ice chest in it and it's gonna take on weight like I did when ... pizza went on sale. The point is try it before you tell someone it isn't safe and the '40 can't do it. She's a beast that can do a lot more than most think. Especially if you flip your springs like most do to get a 100" wheelbase. Just chill with the "can't" stuff. The '40 was designed and built for American soldiers in the era of "can." That never changed.

I have towed with my 78 FJ40. I pulled a small U-Haul trailer from Vancouver, WA crossed the state to Idaho over US12 to Lolo MT the south on 93 through ID again back to South West WY. Didn't have much trouble at all other then the limited range because of the 16 gal tank and lack of open gas stations in ID.

I did pull a long trailer from St Helens, OR back to Ridgefield, WA with longer lengths of sheet metal that lifted the rear axle just enough that I had to lock the hubs and us 4wd. I could not do much more then 25 mph not because that was all I could get out of the 2F motor it was because the trailer would pivot side to side on the ball and on I-5 it took up 3 lanes. A county deputy was not very happy with us and told us to get off the freeway. On a back road I had to stop at an intersection with a stop sign with a steep incline, my buddy on this fiasco was impressed that the 40 really didn't have much problem getting rolling again.

When I get finished building it the most I would pull would be my Hummer trailer if I can to it level. The trailer has 37" tire and I will have 35" on the 40 and 4wheel disc brakes. The trailer has a hydraulic surge brakes and the lights have all been converted to 12V. When I pull this trailer with my Ram 3500 I have to flip the drop hitch to get the tongue level with the truck and it has 35" tires and factory suspension stands tall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom