'78 FJ40 Top Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After removing and disassembling the top to my ’78 FJ40 (from this thread: 1978 FJ40 Stock Restoration – 15 Years Long) seven years ago, I finally started the rebuild. The rain gutter is completely rusted and I ordered CCOT’s replacement. I’ve read numerous threads about weatherstripping and have decided to order the weatherstripping from City Racer and use the recommended adhesive for EDPM rubber. Everything is stripped and ready for a body shop to paint - as soon as the pandemic is over. I have some questions…

1. Is there any reason to try and reuse OEM 42-year-old weatherstripping? It seems very rigid and I think I’ll end up breaking the glass trying to get it out without cutting it anyway.

2. The top (or just the cap - I can’t remember what the PO told me) is not original to my 1978 FJ40. How can I tell if the top (ambulance doors specifically) is ’78 and earlier or ’79 and later? The ambulance door weatherstrip part numbers are different for ’78 and ’79.

3. If I’m replacing all of the weatherstripping for the top and doors, would you replace the windshield weatherstrip and/or windshield base as well? They’re both OEM and original to the 40.

4. Would you powder coat the gutter or paint it?

5. City Racer does not carry the front window channels and felt. Any vendor preferred over another? Any worthy reproduction parts or would you go OEM for those?

6. When replacing the door latches and window regulators, what MP grease would you lubricate them with? Lithium? Depends on the door?

I've been putting this off for years. Any feedback, lessons learned are welcome. The only nice pic so far is just a box containing bags of meticulously cleaned parts from the doors and top.
IMG_0651.png

Hey, not to hijack, but what became of the intermittent wiper project?

Hey, not to hijack, but what became of the intermittent wiper project?
Sitting in a box in the basement. The short story is that an attorney strongly advised against selling an electronic device of my own design (kit or assembled) for use in an automobile. The liability is too great. Same reason I never sold the carb fan controller replacement.

Back on track...

I think I'd replace all the window rubber. If the original is anything less than playable, you'll never get it out with good glass. Besides, after all these years, surely you'll want to drive it for years to come. The seal under the windshield frame is a little more forgiving. If it doesn't have any folds in it from misalignment, and it still has some heft, after inspection, you might choose to keep it. As far as the gutter goes, powder coating it would be great but not sure it's needed. Well painted should be enough. The top side is bathed in sealant so there's that. As far as window felts and tracks, I'd shop around and leave out Spector. They are simply too expensive. I won't even go into how badly they treated me years ago.

Looks like a great truck. Glad you're back into it.

For weather stripping, if OEM is available it won't leaving you wishing for better quality down the road. City Racer has a great rep, but if he doesn't have it, I'd suggest OEM, cry once buy once.

Back on track...

Looks like a great truck. Glad you're back into it.
Thanks for the input. After pulling all of the glass, I see one side window is not original. Somewhat crudely cut thicker piece of automotive glass. Now to find a replacement window too.

For weather stripping, if OEM is available it won't leaving you wishing for better quality down the road. City Racer has a great rep, but if he doesn't have it, I'd suggest OEM, cry once buy once.
Definitely a common theme in these threads about OEM for some parts, especially weatherstripping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom