78 fj40 throw out bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, having a new issue with my 78 fj40 pretty sure it’s the throw out bearing but I don’t want to spend money on unnecessary parts. At idle you can hear vibration coming from the clutch fork and when the clutch is depressed there is i terrible sound and the engine slows it’s idle. I have a video of it but I guess you can only post pictures i this forum. Any input would be great, thanks !

Hey, having a new issue with my 78 fj40 pretty sure it’s the throw out bearing but I don’t want to spend money on unnecessary parts. At idle you can hear vibration coming from the clutch fork and when the clutch is depressed there is i terrible sound and the engine slows it’s idle. I have a video of it but I guess you can only post pictures i this forum. Any input would be great, thanks !
if you upload the video to youtube you can post a link here (only way I know how but I am new here so not sure...)

Here’s a pic

C4F9DCEF-8BF7-48E0-9898-3BED4B516AE3.jpeg

is that a 3 finger preasure plate? sure looks like one, my WAG is you have a mix and match of parts that don't work together. the fork and hub and throw out bearing look like they are for a diaphram ,sp, style preasure plate and they don't play well with a 3 finger style preasure plate

either style assembly can be used for a 3 or 4 speed, you just need to keep all the components together, including flywheel.

is that a 3 finger preasure plate? sure looks like one, my WAG is you have a mix and match of parts that don't work together. the fork and hub and throw out bearing look like they are for a diaphram ,sp, style preasure plate and they don't play well with a 3 finger style preasure plate

either style assembly can be used for a 3 or 4 speed, you just need to keep all the components together, including flywheel.
The only part in common is the disc itself.

It’s been on there since 1982 when I put the small block Chevy in, have not had a single issue with it untill now ! Any one have an idea what I should replace ?

Everything has a finite life, including throwout bearings. If you haven't had the truck apart since 1982, it might just be time to pull the trans/xfer/engine and separate it and see what's going on. Doing this, I would replace the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch disk, pressure plate, and have the flywheel surfaced. No sense not doing all of this while you're in there. Also consider replacing the rear main seal on the engine and the front seal on the transmission.

Everything has a finite life, including throwout bearings. If you haven't had the truck apart since 1982, it might just be time to pull the trans/xfer/engine and separate it and see what's going on. Doing this, I would replace the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch disk, pressure plate, and have the flywheel surfaced. No sense not doing all of this while you're in there. Also consider replacing the rear main seal on the engine and the front seal on the transmission.
Thanks you very much !! that’s the advice I was looking for !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom