78 FJ40 steering issue advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I have an issue with my 78 40 not being able to turn full lock to full lock. I restored this vehicle meticulously but this is the one area that I consider a hack job. I put on the 79-83 mini truck power steering conversion. The problem is that I have a 1 1/2" body lift so I have this spacer and washers build up under the power steering box to give me the angle I need..ugh. so when I have the pitman arm disconnected and up on a lift I can manually turn perfectly lock to lock to the stoppers but when the pitman arm is connected I run out of real-estate and stop way short of full lock. Can I get a longer pitman arm or a longer that connects to my pitman arm?? I would greatly appreciate any input. It's not letting me attach a picture right now.

here it is

20201007_145650.jpg

Anyone?

I'm not sure either, I'm just guessing. If it's just the mini truck power steering box or the pitman arm, somebody who's done this set up has had to experienced this also i would think.

reading in your paragraph the issue is the steering column or the box.
you stated when disconnected the axle will go stop to stop
does the pitman arm move as far as the relay rod needs to move when disconnected? my WAG is the problem will be with the mount/pedestal or the box.
I am unfamiliar with the mini box, does it use the mini arm or the LC arm or are they the same?

Last edited:
Is it possible that the center arm and the steering stabilizer are in the wrong holes on the center arm? That could cause the condition you’re describing.

3C131345-3D5C-45D8-AF9B-2AF6D0A9C46B.jpeg

The photo directly above shows where I keep my big mouth shut about mini truck P.S. conversions on FJ40's, it shows everything you wouldn't still have on the rig with a Saginaw or FJ60 P.S. conversion.

I believe he stabilizer is in the right hole. I'm pretty sure I used the original fj40 pitman arm and I didn't any of the rods. If I remember right the fj40 arm was bigger. I don't think i can get to the 40 till Monday to see if arm go all the way where it needs to be when disconnected. The mount for the box is the one several companies where selling for this conversion but like I said I have that spacer and washer build up for the angle and the body lift. Is the mini truck pitman arm longer or would it be shorter?

20201009_143001.jpg

I meant all of the rods and linkage are all original fj40

I think I figured out why I can't turn as far as I should. After taking off the pitman arm, centering the steering, it turns fine to the left but isn't turning all the way to the right because the linkage hits the steering box mount preventing it from turning to full lock. It's because of the body lift i have the steering box shimmed or raised therefore the linkage going to the pitman arm is on an upwards angle. I believe I can solve this with a little longer than stock fj40 pitman arm . I think then my angle will be better and I'll clear the steering box mount when turning hard to the right. Does anyone make a longer pitman arm for an fj40? Any thoughts?

The mini and FJ40 pitman arms are very slightly different in length, but the mini has more offset, IIRC. If you have an FJ40 pitman now, the mini pitman might make it worse. You might be able to relieve the steering box pedestal a bit, so that that pitman doesn't hit it as it swings back.

Since I like my minitruck PS, I blame the body lift. ;) The washers under the PS box (as you noted) are seriously janky. Perhaps if you need a shim, you could use thin front axle leaf pack shim? Skyjacker Leaf Spring Axle Shims WS325

Or make your own custom box mount that has the correct angle for your lift. Or, you could also make (or have a machine shop) make a custom steel shim.

The mini and FJ40 pitman arms are very slightly different in length, but the mini has more offset, IIRC. If you have an FJ40 pitman now, the mini pitman might make it worse. You might be able to relieve the steering box pedestal a bit, so that that pitman doesn't hit it as it swings back.

Since I like my minitruck PS, I blame the body lift. ;) The washers under the PS box (as you noted) are seriously janky. Perhaps if you need a shim, you could use thin front axle leaf pack shim? Skyjacker Leaf Spring Axle Shims WS325

Or make your own custom box mount that has the correct angle for your lift. Or, you could also make (or have a machine shop) make a custom steel shim.
I definitely have the fj40 pitman arm. I will take your advice on the shim. I'm not sure what you mean by relieving the pedalstal mount, there really isn't any wiggle room there. Did you mean something else?

I thought the pitman arm just clipped the very edge of the welded steel PS box mount, which could be ground off. But, if it solidly hits the box mount, then it obviously cannot be simply ground off.

Without pix of the hitting, I don't fully understand the lack of clearance.

Steve, it really hits a good bit and now I ground too much off so I'm gonna have to take the mount off the frame and weld it unfortunately it still won't cure my problem

Same spline, if I remember the mini is a little smaller

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom