'78 FJ40 spare carrier bolt replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The bolts (not studs) on my carrier were so stripped and worn that I was worried about losing my spare. The bolts I had were just #5 bolts tack welded to the carrier. There's no room to get an angle grinder in there so I used a Dremel and some abrasive cutoff wheels. I also had to use a cold chisel to get the top passenger-side bolt out and make room for the new stud. Then I had to take a step-drill to get the actual studs to seat. The metal on the carrier is not thick/strong enough to get the studs to swage in. I was able to get the old welds off enough to get the new studs in and weld them in place. Worked like a charm. When I can get my antique phone to get the pics onto my laptop, I'll share the pics.

The bolts (not studs) on my carrier were so stripped and worn that I was worried about losing my spare. The bolts I had were just #5 bolts tack welded to the carrier. There's no room to get an angle grinder in there so I used a Dremel and some abrasive cutoff wheels. I also had to use a cold chisel to get the top passenger-side bolt out and make room for the new stud. Then I had to take a step-drill to get the actual studs to seat. The metal on the carrier is not thick/strong enough to get the studs to swage in. I was able to get the old welds off enough to get the new studs in and weld them in place. Worked like a charm. When I can get my antique phone to get the pics onto my laptop, I'll share the pics.

I have to replace one as well. I have the bolt, just need a welder. Been on the “to do” list for awhile. Maybe this will motivate me to get after it.

I have to replace one as well. I have the bolt, just need a welder. Been on the “to do” list for awhile. Maybe this will motivate me to get after it.
Which one is it? One is easy, one is a pain in the neck. The last one is a pain in the A**.

Which one is it? One is easy, one is a pain in the neck. The last one is a pain in the A**.
Upper driver side. A buddy of mine has a welder. I’ll just ask him to do what he can. I’m not too concerned with the final look.

Upper driver side. A buddy of mine has a welder. I’ll just ask him to do what he can. I’m not too concerned with the final look.
That's the middle-difficulty. Get in there with a Dremel and an abrasive cut off wheel. Take out the welds around the bolt head and tap it with a hammer. It'll come right out. You'll have to use a step drill and/or die grinder to clean up the welds in back and get the hole big enough to take an actual stud and swage it in. Once that's done, it's a minute of welding to get the new one set in.

Oh, I removed the stud already. Just been lazy and need to drive across town to get the welding done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom