78 FJ40 Southern New Hampshire $700 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just got home from looking this rig over and since I am passing on it, I thought to post it up online. The ad is located here.

http://nh.craigslist.org/car/314733405.html

Here is my take on it:

I think it is a parts rig. The frame does not appear cracked anywhere, the rear spring hangers are intact. The frame has minor delamination. The tub and cowel are shot and both have a lot of bondo all over them. The bezel, hood, and fenders appear ok. The windshield frame has visible pinholes. The hardtop does not fit well and was source from a 72. The motor has not turned over in a year, and the entire vehicle has sat in its present location for 5-8 years. The owner has seats, half doors, and a windshield frame...but I didn't inspect those. The windshield is broken.

The passenger side front leaf spring is sprung...and nearly level. I think this puppy hit a serious bump/jump. For this reason I passed on the rig thinking that the frame might need straightening and was not suitable for a budget rebuild.

The motor is all intact, but I did not bother having him turn it over. I don't know if it would.

HTH

Last edited:
is that a reasonable price for a set of axles and 3rdmembers from a 78? I'm in the area and have a 77 and always looking to upgrade mine. Problem is I would have to figure out how to get it home. I flew up.

Might be.....on a whim he posted it on craigslist.....he was about 2 minutes from calling the free car removal service. He might deal.

Might be.....on a whim he posted it on craigslist.....he was about 2 minutes from calling the free car removal service. He might deal.

cool maybe i'll get a deal on em. I think i might can work out a deal on on transportation .

You know, I didn't really study the dash. The OEM radio was missing buttons, the choke and related knobs were present but faded. The cluster was there (read 59k)....I don't recall an ashtray specifically.

You know, I didn't really study the dash. The OEM radio was missing buttons, the choke and related knobs were present but faded. The cluster was there (read 59k)....I don't recall an ashtray specifically.

I emailed him just now asking him if he would seperate and how well it runs in case I would take on the 600mile journey. It's only mins from where i'm at. Where are you? I'm in Portsmouth, NH.

I am in Burlington, VT....

The rig is not road worthy, at all. It would need to be carried on a flat bed. Unless you swapped out the dry rotted tires for some spares, I don't think you could tow it with a dolly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom