78 FJ40 Power Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got my power steering gear box back from being refurbed. Not sure what year this gear box is but looking forward to having it re installed next week. I am about to have new tie rod ends installed along with a new drag link and rebuilt center arm.
jjk2Yu%mTx6mr2b7fcVVjg.jpg
2cfpizspRQ2yvc%ypkoloA.jpg

Here are some more pictures of what the gear box looked like before I send it off to have it refurbed.
kj+eDgoWSd+p3pqrqcVRqw.jpg
x1X0J%XWQh+sLh3v9XPCxw.jpg
qa7mw4kyTrGtMdDn9V9qlw.jpg

South American “restoration”? I’ve seen a bunch of rag joints made out of old tires like that on them

Ok. Power steering gearbox has been installed, I've replaced the old tie rod ends, and installed a new steering stabilizer. The FJ40 still has a lot of sway in it. Not sure how to tighten that up. Any suggestions?
kR5Uf0HZTZC70J41zL1m9A.jpg
g0piOp2+RWGoa%OYiPr%Mg.jpg
g3oLJkEjT7+EBLiEZNPQwg.jpg
ug5+NWBASa+YvGLZYgjbgw.jpg

Also, make sure wheel bearings ok.

nik

Ok. Power steering gearbox has been installed, I've replaced the old tie rod ends, and installed a new steering stabilizer. The FJ40 still has a lot of sway in it. Not sure how to tighten that up. Any suggestions?View attachment 2747188View attachment 2747190View attachment 2747191View attachment 2747192
My 78 FJ40 without power steering would wear you out on long drives and the ruts in I-80 would whip you side to side. When I went back to college at WWC and took welding my first semester I pulled it into the weld shop and cut the spring hangers off of the frame. I bought some 2" square tubing that I welded to the frame where the hanger for the spring shackle was and then welded the rear spring hanger to the square tubing. I welded the front hanger to the frame behind the axle.
Repacked the wheel bearings and had the front end aligned and it took care of most of the wander. I wished I had learned to weld years before.

I pulled it into the weld shop and cut the spring hangers off of the frame. I bought some 2" square tubing that I welded to the frame where the hanger for the spring shackle was and then welded the rear spring hanger to the square tubing. I welded the front hanger to the frame behind the axle.

You essentially did a shackle reversal and likely added caster at the same time which would help with reducing steering wander. It would be interesting to know how many degrees of caster you have now

You essentially did a shackle reversal and likely added caster at the same time which would help with reducing steering wander. It would be interesting to know how many degrees of caster you have now
Before I did the swap the shackle reversal kits were just starting to hit the market. I did have a phone conversation with someone that was selling a kit and he explained to me what would happen and it all made sense, but at the time I did not know how to use a torch or weld. He did talk about a caster change and I think he said it would be positive. It was before 1986 that we had the conversation so I don't remember the details.

So when I started my AAS degree in Industrial Maintenance and learning to weld I figured out how to save myself money and do the work myself. 12" of 2" square tubing was cheap and was all I had into the project. WWC provided the space, the gas, and the rod to do the work. It took about 12 hours to complete but part of the problem was sitting there looking at the frame with a torch in my hand getting the nerve up to start cutting on my daily driver. I biased my torch away from the frame and did some damage to the hangers but being in a weld shop that was remedied by welding up the mating surface of the hanger and found out that you can use two rods at once to increase the filler metal in the process. Clean up with a grinder and belt sander they were ready to weld back on the frame.

The 2" square tubing was left open on each end and provided a great place to use my HI lift jack if I got the front end stuck in mud, snow or ice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom