'78 FJ40 needs lockers. I need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to rebuild the knuckles and replace the hubs. I figure while I've got the front in the air I might as well install a locker. I've got some cash saved from VA disability and can afford the front locker now. A month or two down the road I'll do the rear. I'm "frugal." I'm looking at ARB and Eaton ELocker. I'm in NM and virtually all my wheeling is in sand and rock. I have to drive a considerable distance to get to where I like to wheel so I need selectable. Pros and cons of air vs. electric? I want onboard air anyway so that's not a concern if I go ARB.

I have ARB air lockers front and rear in mine and love them. Rarely use the front one, but when I do it's like an "easy" button for things like steep rock ledges.

No experience with the Eaton products.

Lunchbox/auto lockers have their place. They are cheap and effective. They also are noisy popping and cruching and they change the handling and driving characteristics when installed in the rear. I ran one for yrs in the rear. On hard acceleration they pull hard one way and on deceleration they pull the opposite way. In the frt you'll likely be shifting from 2wd to 4wd or unlocking the hubs. I did this for a very short time and didn't like it. I went to an arb. All's good now.

What's weird is when I replaced the lockrite in the rear with a Detroit Locker differential carrier these issues and noises mostly disappeared.

Last edited:
You realize the ARB replaces the differential carrier, correct? You’ll need to remove the ring gear from old carrier, reinstall onto the ARB, and re-setup your ring and pinion. Just want to make sure you understand whats involved with the “install”
I know a guy. LOL.

I know a guy. LOL.
All good. Just wanted to make sure. Stuff gets out of hand expensive quick! Looking forward to hearing how it wheels after the locker is installed.

All good. Just wanted to make sure. Stuff gets out of hand expensive quick! Looking forward to hearing how it wheels after the locker is installed.
Thanks. My neighbor is a Toyota mechanic plus I have tech friends who have the tools and skills to get it back together at the right tolerances.

Looks like I can get an ARB rear locker and the compressor for under $1200 with the discount. I'll run it by the wife and prolly order it this weekend. Once I get that installed, I'll see if I really need the front locker. Thanks for all the positive feedback and advice. And no dickhead trolls!
I have an ARB in the rear and I love it, so much so that I’m looking for one for the front. Last wheeling trip had me finagling obstacles that my friends were rolling over. I gotta ask- where are you finding an ARB and compressor for $1200? I picked up chromoly axles this fall, but I’ve been holding out on a price break on the locker.

Lunchbox/auto lockers have their place. They are cheap and effective. They also are noisy popping and cruching and they change the handling and driving characteristics when installed in the rear. I ran one for yrs in the rear. On hard acceleration they pull hard one way and on deceleration they pull the opposite way. In the frt you'll likely be shifting from 2wd to 4wd or unlocking the hubs. I did this for a very short time and didn't like it. I went to an arb. All's good now.

What's weird is when I replaced the lockrite in the rear with a Detroit Locker differential carrier these issues and noises mostly disappeared.
yes the detroits are about twice as civilized as a lockrite
Ive had both as well, in both diffs ( 2 different vehicles )

Very happy with my air lockers. If I didn't have OBA would consider the harrops

I have an ARB in the rear and I love it, so much so that I’m looking for one for the front. Last wheeling trip had me finagling obstacles that my friends were rolling over. I gotta ask- where are you finding an ARB and compressor for $1200? I picked up chromoly axles this fall, but I’ve been holding out on a price break on the locker.
polyperformance has a 10% coupon. I'm actually going to get the medium compressor and the rear locker so it will be $1300. Discount code is GET10BACK.

pb4ugo, not exactly correct about the LSD's. Yes, the GM Gov-Locks did require one tire to spin before the other side locked up. The Auburn LSD's are a completely different animal. They are working/locked ALL the time, on-road, off-road, 2WD or 4WD. They are able to release/slip during cornering, soooo 100% highway manageable, no ratcheting or wheel hop during cornering, most quite unit available. What is nice about them is they are locked even before you get to an obstacle (snow, ice, mud, sand) so you drive right through it. They are not good for rock crawling (one tire in the air) because they want some drag on both tires to keep both tires locked- - -or clutching equally. The Auburns are perfect for the guy who has all 4 on the ground all the time.

Mr Downey, in my experience from many yrs of east coast wheeling in my 40 and their wheel base. The wheels tend to come off the ground quite often.

Last edited:
Mr Downey, in my experience from many yrs of east coast wheeling in my 40 and their wheel base. The wheels tend to come off the ground quite often.
Yep, but other than rock crawling, the wheels come off the ground, then quickly right back down to the ground, and usually at speed.

I'm sure they're fine, as i said, I don't like the uncertainty. When your wheeling with groups of vehicles you can witness what works and what works better.

Upper north east driving I had seen many trucks running the auburn in front with airs in the rear … it’s a great combo especially with the slippery muck that we often would encounter

Usually it pissed me off to no end to struggle (opened front and rear and an ok at best driver …me lol) and my friends start to get in a bind then you hear Pshhh pshhhh the air lockers engaged and they crawl over lol

The deciding factor for a good run in usually the driver … I had seen open trucks tiptoe around and just chug along and seen locked trucks beat it and break … beating it deep in the woods is not a good idea :meh:

Hmmmm I need to reword that I think

I've had an ARB in the back for almost 20 years. It has been flawless.
I've had an ez-locker (like aussie locker) in the front almost as long. It is transparent on the road and when wheeling it unlocks when coasting so I just shift the transfer in and out of 4wd often and leave the hubs locked.

I have 4 "settings"-
unlocked 2wd
locked rear 2wd
locked F & open R 4wd (rarely use this)
Locked F&R 4wd

This has worked really well for me for almost 20 years. I live in-town Atlanta and drive my 40 3-4 days a week and also tow/drive it to trails. I used to do lots of "hardcore" rock crawling and this setup works in those two extreme scenarios

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom