78 FJ40 Lift Kit / Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a stock 1978 FJ40 that I would like to lift 2-4". What is a good brand of suspension kit? Also, what is a good tire size for moderate offroading? I'm thinking of using a Black Diamond 3" suspension lift and running 32x11:50 tires.

4" skyjacker softride.
stiff when you get them, but mine are broken in quite nicely now.
if you can afford them check out Old Man Emu.
if you want to spend more than that, pay someone to
spring it over for you.

I'm running the Skyjacker 4", seems ok. I would really check out the 4" OME light/medium system. I once rode in a truck with this system and the ride was awesome. :D

do not get procomp/genuine suspension,stiff as hell :-\

I'm running a SJ 4" with 33" TSL radials (just picked them up today :D)
I love the lift. I wouldn't bother blowing the big bucks on the OME, heard some of people get really bouncy rides with it. Most bang for your buck.

[quote author=arizona78 link=board=1;threadid=4514;start=msg33831#msg33831 date=1061497961]
I have a stock 1978 FJ40...[wanna have] running 32x11:50 tires.
[/quote]
Something you should seriously consider is probably 33x9.50s or 33x10.50s at most in width. Without power steering and if you add extended shackles without shims to the lift springs, this thing will really wander on you and be very hard to turn (keep your thumbs out!).

Anyway, just consider a tall but skinnier tire, I think you'd be more pleased. If you do go to the 11.5"+ wide tire, however, and need some 3.5" BS wheels, let me know, trying to find someone local who may want some that I have.

I have been running 31x11.5's with manual steering, and am about to run 33x12.5's with manual steering. Its not fun, on road you have to have your tires at max pressure to be able to get around a parking lot, but that increases wander and makes your leafs feel like solid I-beams. But hey you can do it, and it builds up your arms! :D

I ran 33's with manual steering for a while.

KEEP THOSE THUMBS OUT.

Don't ask. :-\

3FJ40:
What brand of 33 x 9.5's are you talking about?

I've searched and can't find any manufacturers that offer them. I prefer these as If I want to drive in town, I won't have to bust my a$$ to get around.

Thanks,

Doug

I lust lifted my '78 about 6 months ago with a 4" Skyjacker and SOR Anti-Inversion Shackles (stock length). Went with 33x12.50 BFG M/T and love the set-up. Bought the Skyjacker Hydro shocks as well. I don't feel much of a wandering problem with mine, although I second the "keep your thumbs out" advice. You may also want to think about the u-bolt skid plates while your doing it. I wentwith the SOR Extreme version and they are pretty stout. You could also go with a u-bolt flip kit to keep from having the kind of problems I had when trying to remove the old u=bolts and plates. I had to cut the plate and u-bolts off with a cut-off wheel because they were really bent up. BTW - BFG does make both the all-terrain and mud-terrain in a 33x9.50 although I had a lot of tire shops tell me that BFG didn't make one in that size. Go tothe BFG website and you will see them. Tire Rack may also have them listed. I got my lift and tires there. Dn't really like the store much but knew a guy there that cut me a good deal. Good luck! :D

Interco makes some tires in that size, and I thought that BFG did as well. My 33x12.5 TSL radials are really about 11-11.5 inches wide on 8 inch rims, so I would assume that 33x10.5 TSL radials would be very close to 9.5 inches. My steering has improved and they are fine around town.

[quote author=UltraFJ link=board=1;threadid=4514;start=msg38003#msg38003 date=1062717300]
3FJ40:
What brand of 33 x 9.5's are you talking about?

I've searched and can't find any manufacturers that offer them. I prefer these as If I want to drive in town, I won't have to bust my a$$ to get around.

Thanks,

Doug
[/quote]

for a MT Swamper make a 33x9.5
for a AT BFG makes that size(I have 3 sets and I love em) BFG use to make a MT but no more

for a AT/MT cross Avon, Big-O , Les Scwab(sp) and Kelly makes something. Of these I like the Big-O but havn't run them myself

also a 33x10.5 might be just fine, BFG makes this in a AT or MT

FWIW i run Goodyear MTR 35x12.5 on my fj45 with manual steering. It was a nightmare to drive on the highway untill I did a Shackle reversal, drives like a dream now but needs PS.......next sping I will do it and new trany.

FWIW2 I just added OEM PS to my 82 fj40.......it's a WONDERFULL mod, I like it so much I am doing it on the other(bone stock) 82 fj40, just got the rest of the bits in today. This is OEM(or as close as you can get) not a mini box mounted on a plate, that works good as well but the OEM PS was worth it on the 82s.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom