78 FJ40 frame Off Restomod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy!

Decided to get down and dirty with my ol' high school whip (2009) and do a frame-off restomod. She's (Gretchet) a '78 with 96k original miles. Got a long way to go and only a short time to get there. Giving myself 5 years (started end of 2018). Doing majority of it myself which, thus far, has proven to be a big undertaking. She was mechanically sound as I drove her into my garage to be started so we know she did work. In short, my plans/mods: power steering, A/C, throttle body injection, new headers/intake, possible rear disc brake conversion. By in large, that will be the bulk of the modifications. Wish me luck!
CFeaCR3TSZCDqk%TZxrpJA.jpg

CFeaCR3TSZCDqk%TZxrpJA.jpg
n1KKEiroTZSLealdfcJBrQ.jpg
V3SFbe7uSyOvegyAy76hdw.jpg

8DCA7C27-D417-4BBA-8C39-C2153A547324.jpg

Stripped down and quarantined the garage into a sandblast oasis. It was wonderful to be trapped in the garage in August in Las Vegas, Nevada wearing face masks and coveralls.

Cc9tlRa9S6agCAbWvOEc8w.jpg

xzmCQXlZRG6rvKOXDaIIfw.jpg

VmuIK%aiSCGfpstd28N1Ug.jpg

mwAFL9zFRLWcE1aOpm1+iQ.jpg

91JA5BDPQz2ymdQdsKgvLg.jpg

Rebuilt the front end and am basically to where I currently am. I was going to tear into the engine next and clean it up while I'm saving for my OME lift so then it will be "movable."

PKsHdxS3R++3UE7UHhAYZg.jpg

L75Co7MPQ7S1zp3ruryyGw.jpg

Gr9tWepxRbmGWf5ee06r9g.jpg

1kuNdAHdTQSNf59mvxqpCg.jpg

yeNYSRRZRninK5bVBYyYqw.jpg

Got the block cleaned and remounted to the chassis. Probably went through 25 Dewalt batteries and multiple packages of wire wheels. Replaced the drain pan gasket and side inspection cover gasket. Did not tear into the head or transmission transfer case. Reasoning was that if it wasn't leaking, didn't want to give it reason! Currently, I'm on the fence about the valve cover and how to finish it. Was either thinking of powder coating or polishing. The picture of it currently on is just after it had been media blasted and cleaned. Even contemplated priming (similar color) and sealing with clear coat. Thoughts?

JsIlBNgLSPGc8ZTttwnZHw.jpg

N01V5CTxRMWBwaRBGOAnZQ.jpg

JbTblBxaRVukHY3RwRmAtQ.jpg

l5Z7JbNURVejGwCcoSrjYQ.jpg

eyYHEPYHQT2wIXZS4dubrw.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom