78 FJ40 Evap System / charcoal canister, etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.interrobangletterpress.com
i've rebuilt /repainted my charcoal canister, OCV, brackets, etc. and want to put it all back on-line after having dropped a new OEM gas tank in. (poly tank leaked vapors and was 4+ gallons smaller than stock. buBye)

i pulled it all a few years ago, and though i've been pouring over the '78 emissions manual, i have a couple hard pipes (one very elaborately bent 1/4" steel pipe, and a shorty), plus a red rubber hose in my parts box that i'm puzzling over.

can someone post a few pics of what's going on with pipe/hose routing?

TIA.

sweet, i'd appreciate it.

i haven't even looked at the carb end of things.

i HAD found that the rubber 90° bend hose that runs from the 'purge' port on the canister to the OCV had completely rotted and cracked. if you can believe it, it's STILL available from Toyota. of all the crazy little rubber parts.

Part no. 77759-14011 - US$5.74 list

checked the OCV with a 9v battery. nice click on application of juice. that's good cuz i'm not sure i could justify the US$85 on a new one...

Does this help?

From SOR
048D4.gif

thanks for the grab from SOR. actually it doesn't help though. what i really need is a photo of the firewall and what pipes are routing where from the OCV, etc.

Trying to figure out what parts from the parts box used to be part of the system. a shot of the carb would be cool too, but it's probably very obvious what's coming off the float bowl.

that hose i mentioned above is no. 32 in the image from SOR. The OCV is no. 31.

Here's a couple pics from my '78
The hose from the OCV Is rubber to the firewall then a length of metal tubing then back to rubber. It connects to the port on the top of the carb just to the right and above the green connector in the pic
can.jpg
carb.jpg

Mr. LaDuke beat me to it...

Here are a couple more in case you still can't see what you want.

NOTE: my pics reflect the bootyfab hose from can to OCV

What does OCV stand for?

Also note, 90 degree tube does not connect to port labeled PURGE on my can. I believe PURGE should go to the VCV

My '78 has a 09/77 build date...
MVC-193F.jpg
MVC-194F.jpg

Last edited:
nice & simple work-around on the hose.

i believe OCV stands for 'Outer Control Valve'. can you post a pic of the hose/pipe that the OCV mates to as it routes to the carb? i think that's one of my mystery parts.

That's a hard one to get a pic of. It's about 2 ft. long and bends to fit the shape of the indent on the firewall. It's almost hidden in this pic but if you follow the black hose just to the left of the throttle linkage that is it.
hose.jpg

thanks you guys,

if i'm not mistaken, the pipe i'm seeing running to the carb float bowl is the one 4th down the wall, and a larger diameter than the two brake and one clutch line(s) above it.

that one has all kinds of crazy articulation to hug the firewall behind the rocker cover right?

if so, that's on my bench and ready to go.

JP_FJ40 said:
thanks you guys,

if i'm not mistaken, the pipe i'm seeing running to the carb float bowl is the one 4th down the wall, and a larger diameter than the two brake and one clutch line(s) above it.

that one has all kinds of crazy articulation to hug the firewall behind the rocker cover right?

if so, that's on my bench and ready to go.

you are correct. 4th one down and larger diameter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom