78 fj40 dizzy swap question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my 74 fj40 I did the Petronix semi electronic flame thrower kit. Made a world of difference

looking to do the same for my 78 but do not see that petronix makes one for a 78

any suggestions?

So it looks like something changed with the distributor system between 1977 and 1978. This is based on the info from their site which has parts for '77 but not '78. Or, it could be an oversight on their part. Need some site experts who can tell you if the systems are the same for both years or what it is exactly that did change and why a kit isn't offered.

Found some additional info. It looks like prior to 9/77 distributors had small cap and large cap after. So maybe they build for the small cap years but not for large cap years. An option may be to drop in older model distributor or just don't convert.

Last edited:
'78 was the first year for fully electronic ignition on the 2F engines. Pertronix systems are meant to replace points, therefore no Pertroxix for '78 and later 2Fs. IMHO, if your stock electronic ignition system is working well that's as good as you can get. It may be that your vacuum advance is no longer working, have you checked the advancer to see if the diaphragm is working and holds vacuum? Or maybe the breaker plate is stuck and doesn't rotate when vacuum is applied to the advancer.

well I guess already having a fully electronic ignition is plus for sure. I will check and advise. I did some routine tune ups stuff this weekend as this fj has been sitting for decades. It done run remarkably better

thanks and happy memorial day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom