78 FJ40 Clutch Confusion (1 Viewer)

Mating an Orion to my 420 and realized i need to replace the clutch. Since it has been 15 years since I have done any research on these clutches, I was a little overwhelmed with the choices out there. Diaphram style, 3 finger style, Centerforce, Centerforce Dual friction and full master kit w/ slave rebuild and lines! I have only looked on MAF as of now. Not sure what to buy for a replacement. I am running the original 6 and needs yalls advice on which one is being used and in what application. I will be doing a moderate amount of rockin in the cruiser but will be joy riding on the pavements on the weekend. Any input is appreciated!

I spent the extra cash and got the centerforce dual friction. A little pricy but it is incredible on the rocks and will not slip on you. I'm running an F motor with a four speed tranny with the threed speed transfer case, 4:88's and 35's. I just throw it in 4lo and drive it like an automatic.

yep, Had a stock toyota clutch that was in the 40 when I got it that started slipping. It lasted two trips to Tellico. I replaced it with a "stock" unit from one of the Landcruiser suppliers (cant remember if it was Man -a -Fre or CCOT) and it lasted about a year and a half. I guess it really depends on how modified your rig is and how you drive it. If mine was a dd I probably wouldn't need the high dollar clutch but mine is a trail rig with limited road time.

Living in the Past

SILVER Star

Your 78 came with the four speed clutch but since you have a SM420 which required a three bell housing change make sure what you have now. The three speed used a different system than the four speed. If you have a stamped clutch fork you are setup for a three speed. Case clutch fork and it's a four speed. The three speed only works with the three finger pressure plate. It's easy to change over to four diaphram style but besides the throw-out bearing you need to use the case clutch fork and special acorn shaped bolt the fork pevots off of.

i have an original 74 4speed with a 3 finger clutch and a cast fork from the factory.!!!!im geussing the parts will interchange.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom