78 FJ40 Aisan Carb Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there are a lot of threads on this and I have read many. I know about Jim C. and some others who do these carb rebuilds. My question is this. I was thinking of doing it myself. Is this difficult for the average DIYer? I watched all of PINHEAD's youtube videos and I feel like with the right tools and manuals and with the help of his videos I can do it. Thoughts?

On a side note, I really do enjoy working on things and would enjoy doing it myself I think as long as I don't totally screw it up. The approximate 6 weeks down time (that's what I read) is a deciding factor here too. Thanks for the input folks!

My 75 2F was my first non Briggs and Stratton carb rebuild. Had my manual and watched pin heads video--went relatively smooth and was a lot of fun. I say go for it if you've got the time

Which manual did you use? Any special tools outside of the norm?

Just went through this myself. It's in my thread "watch me rebuild my entire fuel system"

I started out with a completely trashed carb and never rebuilt a carb before in my life. Just get some carb dip, an assortment of screwdrivers, and the toyota fsm and you'll get through it. The pinhead videos and a pair of hemostats will make your life a lot easier.

Plus all the help on here with parts I was missing got me through the worst bits.

Good luck and post pics of your progress!

I did all the above for the first time not too long ago. One word of advice. Hold on to the spring clip. Mine flung acrosss the garage never to be found. Everyone here was very helpful with any question i had

x-2--all of the above--it's way easier than you think, esp when you have pin-Head's vids and FJ40 jim's advice.

Thanks for all the info. Will be working on getting everything together and hopefully start on this in the next couple of weeks.

It isn't for everyone, but if you pay attention to detail, you will be fine. If not, it may spank you. Take lots of pictures, mark parts with an awl that won't come off in the carb dip. Take notes of what goes in which holes. Only remove one end of a link rod so it can only go back together one way. Do not remove the throttle or choke butterfly screws.

I took a less ambitious approach with my first carb rebuild. Rather than doing a 100% tear down, I did a partial rebuild. I replaced parts that I think are most suspect to wear - accelerator pump, rubber boot, needle valve, secondary diaphragm, some gaskets, and float. I sprayed carb cleaner into the jets, but I never removed the jets. There are various little valves, springs, and balls I left alone. There are a few reasons I don't get into every single part:
1) Reduced risk of stripping fragile pieces
2) Many items don't really need to be rebuilt. Chances are a metal spring and ball are still as good as the day it left the factory. Usually it's the soft parts that wear.
3) Fewer things can go wrong. If you made a mistake and the car doesn't run right, there are only 10 things to check as opposed to 100.

Of course, whether this approach makes sense depends on the condition of your carb. My carb wasn't in bad shape, and I did my rebuild mostly as a matter of maintenance.

If you are detail oriented, can keep track of parts and take careful notes, you can do it.
Take it apart one night. Soak overnight. Next day put it together, put it back on and adjust it.
It doesn't take long.

Thanks for all the input. Pin Head, those are your videos right? They are fantastic help to those wanting to tackle this project. From the video it looks like the carb you rebuilt there is pretty close to mine, if not the same. I haven't yet taken it off so I can't be sure.

One question I have is the Toyota FSM was mentioned by a poster here. I assume that means Full Service Manual. Is this the book that I need? I am a new FJ owner so I haven't yet acquired all the manuals and what not I like to have. I plan to have everything I need in hand before I even take the carb off my 40.

Remove all those litttle internal parts-jets-balls-etc that ar in the fuel. Especially in the bottom. That's where all the dirt and corrosion settle and where the fuel flows . I've done 100s of carbs-maybe 1/2 dozen of these-it never paid to skip any type detail in the dissasembly/cleaning-tried to shortcut it earlier on and learned. Clean all gasket surfaces to clean metal. Nothing is worse than having it apart 5 times trying to find what you did wrong and losing parts and tearing gaskets/etc in the process. x2 pinheads too^. Another thing I have done for years is ultra lightly coat all gaskets and sctew threads in blue type grease. Will come apart again and seal any microscopic leak.

Yes, you should get both the engine and chassis versions. They are very handy for any work you're going to do. You can still order the fsm in paperback version and some mudders have PDF versions that I'm sure they'll share with you.
Also, lots of great info on carb rebuild threads on mud, risingsun, and pirate if you get stuck on a particular step.

Ok. Well the first thing I need is that Factory Service Manual? Anyone have the PDF before I order the paperback? I will probably order it anyway just to have on hand when I need it.

You will want a 1/4" 9mm deep well socket with a 1/4" extension as well as a flat blade screwdriver (#2?) that you don't mind grinding the sides off of a bit to fit into the bowl drains to remove the jets.

When I took apart my broken apart parts carb and then tried to put it back together by memory I ended up with lots of screws etc. that I didn't know where they were supposed to go. Good thing it was just a junk parts carb. I will definitely be taking notes of everything if/when I ever do a full carb rebuild. Like even measuring the lengths of screws that go in certain places. Some screws have the same threads but different lengths.

Here are the manuals you need. Mine are all well used. The carb section of the factory manual is excellent.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Try a search in this forum for FSM. I think someone here has compiled many of these in PDF form to download

I rebuilt the carbs in my 1987 FJ60 and the carb in my 1971 FJ40. I did it from Pinheads videos (no manual because I did not get it in time) and took a lot of pictures of the carb fully assembled and as I disasssembled each part. Make sure you have all the tools especially the narrow socket from the video. yeah the spring clip flew clear across my kitchen and took a while to find. I soaked my parts in carb cleaner for 24 hours and then I took them down to NAPA auto parts for a jet wash.
I used trays to keep all my parts in order. Don't forget a good cup of coffee or two.

I just did the same rebuild. It sure is nice to have those videos. I think many of us have thanked Pinhead either on the forum or just in our heads as we did it. Mine is running better than ever now. Thanks Pinhead!

I am starting to get everything together for this. I do want to have the manuals on hand. I think I am going to replace the choke cable as well. It hangs up and gives me trouble when starting. Actually, I believe this may be a part of the problem. Last night I got a bit frustrated and started yanking on the choke cable in a childish temper tantrum and I think I must have fully opened the choke. It ran pretty decent after that. It hangs up about half way out and has a less trouble going back in. I think it may have a kink somewhere. SOR best place to get those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom