78 FJ 40 wiring question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased 219 7840 series one is a total parts ring the other one is a pretty good survivor registered out of Arizona slight rust but most importantly it’s on altered and mostly original. I have a question regarding two wires I can’t figure out where they go. I’ve searched the wiring diagrams with no luck one of them is a black and red wire that is near the starter the second comes off the brake reservoir and appears to just dead and I’ve taken some pictures they are attached any help would be much appreciated

F95F76C8-040C-4C7B-B34A-D67464CD4BE5.jpeg

EE54CA0A-5EE0-4353-97CA-5D75971F3CCB.jpeg

The Black/Red wire is the ballast resistor bypass wire and should attach to the starter. Look for a stud on the starter that does not have a wire on it.
It should be plugged into a Black/White wire on the other end that goes to the + side of the ignition coil.
The other wire you show I have no idea but it is a three wire plug and I bet it is emissions related.

The Black/Red wire is the ballast resistor bypass wire and should attach to the starter. Look for a stud on the starter that does not have a wire on it.
It should be plugged into a Black/White wire on the other end that goes to the + side of the ignition coil.
The other wire you show I have no idea but it is a three wire plug and I bet it is emissions related.
Thank you the info. I thought that’s where the red/black wire would go but wanted to ask first

i can’t find where the other one would connect to for the life of me. In research it seems to vary between a 77/78 and 79

What are the wire colors for the two wires coming out of the three pin connector? They both look solid white? Look for a mating three pin connector behind the engine coming out of the firewall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom