78 FJ 40 Power Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that I am engine rebuild smart 😁

I intend to add power steering. I guess Saginaw is the go to source?
I need a rough sequence of events for putting the PS in. Specifically, with the chassis stripped to the bone, where and what kind of mounting plate do I need to weld/bolt on to replace the manual steering item?

Cheers!
Jerry Brown & BUMPI
Rockport, TEXAS

Saginaw is probably the most invasive and fabrication heavy and best for BIG tires and hard rocky trails. Mini truck PS is the easiest, but is only good up to ~33's and milder wheeling. FJ60 PS is somewhere in between. How are you planning to use your rig?

Saginaw is probably the most invasive and fabrication heavy and best for BIG tires and hard rocky trails. Mini truck PS is the easiest, but is only good up to ~33's and milder wheeling. FJ60 PS is somewhere in between. How are you planning to use your rig?
Live on the Gulf coast, 99% of the time it would be around town; worst thing I would do is take it hunting, or to the beach. Sounds like a mini truck PS system would serve. I do not plan large tires or big lifts.

I have been seeing a few installs on MUD and in person of the electric assist. It looks like a bolt on for specific years and a little more in depth for other years (not sure).

4Cruisers said: "I'm really happy with the mini-truck power steering on both of my FJ40s. I use a mid-'80s Tercel 4WD hatchback PS pump with a mid-'80s Cressida adjusting bracket. The pump is mounted on the stock smog pump bracket."​

Good info 4Cruisers !
You're a lucky guy to be able to find two (2) mini-truck boxes!

PS. It seems that concerning pumps, adjusting brackets etc. one can improvise with Toyota hardware of that period.

4Cruisers said: "I'm really happy with the mini-truck power steering on both of my FJ40s. I use a mid-'80s Tercel 4WD hatchback PS pump with a mid-'80s Cressida adjusting bracket. The pump is mounted on the stock smog pump bracket."​

Good info 4Cruisers !
You're a lucky guy to be able to find two (2) mini-truck boxes!

PS. It seems that concerning pumps, adjusting brackets etc. one can improvise with Toyota hardware of that period.
Those PS gearboxes were bought about 20 years ago for ~$50 to $75 each IIRC. Locally I was buying complete mid-'80s solid front axles for ~$150 - @wngrog may still have some of those parts on one of his rigs.

At first, I was using a Ford adjusting bracket on my '71 conversion, but found the Cressida bracket on a trip to the local Santa Fe pick-n-pull where I also found the '91 4-Runner IFS calipers for the front disk brake conversion.

From your description of how you will use your 40 I would 100% recommend Electric Power Steering. Easy bolt in unit if you get City Racers package. Install in less than a day with zero physical mods to the truck.

I'm really happy with the mini-truck power steering on both of my FJ40s. I use a mid-'80s Tercel 4WD hatchback PS pump with a mid-'80s Cressida adjusting bracket. The pump is mounted on the stock smog pump bracket.
Any chance you have photos of the pump on the smog pump bracket. Was it only a matter of stacking some washers for alignment, or is there some fabwork involved? I'm refreshing the 2F in my 78 and desmogging at this time. I want to move the minitruck pump I have from my homemade bracket to the smog pump bracket if it is doable.

Any chance you have photos of the pump on the smog pump bracket. Was it only a matter of stacking some washers for alignment, or is there some fabwork involved? I'm refreshing the 2F in my 78 and desmogging at this time. I want to move the minitruck pump I have from my homemade bracket to the smog pump bracket if it is doable.
x2 on hoping for info or pics on the Tercel/Cressida setup. I believe I may have a Tercel PS pump on my '78 from a PO, but the bracket is a mess and the pullies are mismatched widths causing an interminable whine.

0F23A364-5BEA-48F3-AF8D-A563CD3C0F86.jpeg

See my Post #9 here:

The first photo shows the bracket down low, but it's hard to see.

For mounting the pump to the bracket I used a combination of spacers, sleeves, and washers from the local hardware store - no fabrication required.

The first photo shows the bracket down low, but it's hard to see.

For mounting the pump to the bracket I used a combination of spacers, sleeves, and washers from the local hardware store - no fabrication required.
Thank you! This looks like a winner. I'm not able to mock up the installation yet, but getting there soon. I have more confidence that it can be done now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom