‘78 Carb cooling fan relay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had my cooling fan working great in the past. Once it quit and I replaced the 5A inline fuse under the dash, worked again just fine. Recently it stopped working again only to find everything connected and inline fuse looking just fine but replaced with a new one anyway but to no avail. I have heard the relay can develop a crack on the circuit board, anyone else been down this road? These relays look to be hard to find these days, part number 85927-60020. My 40 is a ‘10/78 federal model. Any input appreciated. Thanks guys👍

The CCF relays frequently show up on eBay. I’ve not heard off any one attempting a repair. Have you tried simply grounding the thermo switch to see it the fan kicks in?

Last edited:
The CCF relays frequently show up on eBay. I’ve not heard off any one attempting a repair. Have you tries simply grounding the thermo switch to see it the fan kicks in?
No how would I go about that? Thanks.

Thanks Rick. Will look at it in the morning. I appreciate your help

I replaced all components of my system and it still doesn’t function as intended... I have thrown in the towel on this for now and just ground the fan to my fender - fan comes on soon as ignition is switched off... runs approximately 30 minutes :meh:

suggested path :

- KUSTOM manual Over-Ride single-step pull switch Option .............

why :

- gives driver total control over when carb. fan is on , & then off

- these don't just go bad for Phantom Diagnostic reasons ?

- i have had to solder and repair 30-40 year old Circuit boards in the relay box more then once , this usually is a one only repair opportunity
that does Not live long either ?

- no more relays or other weak links in the system

- the NEW OEM Toyota switch shown below is Very Heavy Duty and long term reliable as well ,

- i have used and installed 3 different Pull Knob cosmetic options over the years :

- keep in mind having simply anther FAN PULL knob is very un-desirable and will lead to confusion by a driver not familiar too ........BAD

- so a different Text Font Logo Style is the only smart choice in my opinion ..........

- we have :

- FRONT FAN from a 1973 one model year only USA-Spec. FJ40

- the Late Model Global and USA Spec. " Boat-Prop " universal language logo knob 8/80-1984

- the Fresh Air Intake Vent Pull / Push Knob from a early to mid 1970's FJ40 , universal language Logo image

i typically let fate decide my path on this one , :rolleyes:

- if a 8/80 -later , you already have a boat prop knob on your fan pull switch , can't have 2 .......
so the early model Fresh Air intake Vent Push / Pull and its indeed Progressive late Model Universal language LOGO it is :D

- if you a Pre-8/80 then you have 2 choices , Boat Prop Logo or
FRONT FAN

- i personally love the late model Boat Prop logo updated knob design , however think it is too modern and clashes badly with a pre-8/80 ALL TEXT FONT knob scheme ....

- so my path seems to always be FRONT FAN

if anyone has used a different OEM Pull switch knob design lets hear your creative needed parts solutions , good to see different stuff
please post photos too if you have any ?

DSCN4989.JPG

9D69F509-CD89-4191-8DEE-4AF5911D50FD.jpeg

Last edited:
Somewhere on this site I wrote and included photos of the timer circuit board on my '79. The relay was fine (and not likely your problem) but the circuit board had warped and there were several small cracks in the traces on the board. I bridged them with some solder and it's been working fine for the last two years.

Thanks guys. Will get into it in next few days.

Thanks guys. Will get into it in next few days.

can you please post a few photos of your cooling fan Relay

it would help out ..........

thanks

Can do Matt. Just realized 89423-60020 manifold temp sensor is NLA, don’t know what I was thinking that it might be🙄. Need to narrow it down to see where the problem is anyways

There’s a lotta related info available on MUD, Tom.

Below are the results of a quick search for “carb cooling fan circuit board” in this forum... you could try other parameters and get more results.

@bsevans repaired his board and IIRC @unixman repaired or rebuilt his.

I got bored with trying to fix mine and use a toggle, on the dash, to operate it.

Found my carb cooling fan/controller post. It has photos and an explanation of some of the differences in the early and late models.
Repair of '79 - '80 carb cooler fan controller circuit board
Your 1978 model should have the M3 type relay (a small silver cylinder in the wiring harness) that is still being used in later model Toyotas and others. Easily obtainable. I included a photo of it in my post.

I have had a number of failures with my early '78 contoller(s). An old TV repair man helped me out a few times and managed to get them working... temporarily. He did more than just solder traces. Many of the components get fried after decades of use. I must still have 3 or 4 of the controllers around. None of them work anymore but I still have the fan hooked up. Every once in a blue moon the fan will kick on when I park somewhere. Gives me a fright every time until I lift the hood.

Well I tried grounding the connector wire, nothing. @ToyotaMatt had asked for a picture of relay/controller box, my rig is a ‘10/78 manu date FWIW, so here it is:

A6E61C46-E18C-427C-830A-5DB019BBBA74.jpeg
FE92179A-4135-4B29-9FF4-28D6A984E1C2.jpeg

Inline fuse also replaced even thought it looked just fine 🙄. Opinions? Thanks guys.

My 12/78 was having a intermittent problem, sometimes fan switched on sometimes not. I traced all the usual issues, but noticed if I jiggled the wire loom at the connector to the relay box it would make a small click and come on, or click off again.
This afternoon, I switched the box out for a spare I have and took it for a drive, got home about 15 min ago and it immediately kicked on when I shut off the key. I'm sitting about 10 feet from my 40 now and can hear the fan still running.

Update 8:53pm fan still running..........clearly longer than it should at 1.5 hours. Going to disconnect it

Open the control box and get us some decent closeups of both sides of the circuit board. Since you haven't shown a photo of the relay yet, I assume yours has it mounted on the circuit board?

Ok going to have to pull it out and see what goodies await me🙄🌵

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom