'78 Cali - Spaghetti routing... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you need to continue running the emissions gear, you need the OEM 1978 Emissions Manual. It's about $20 at SOR. It might still be available from Toyota as well. It has the hose diagrams, descriptions of operation, and troubleshooting charts. It's well worth the money.
smog4.jpg
smog5.jpg

Last edited:
If you need to continue running the emissions gear, you need the OEM 1978 Emissions Manual. It's about $20 at SOR. It might still be available from Toyota as well. It has the hose diagrams, descriptions of operation, and troubleshooting charts. It's well worth the money.

It's not so bad with the manual. I can't imagine trying to figure it out without the manual.

There is a diagram on the air cleaner that shows the hose routing. Sorry, I don't have a '78, I have the '76 manual.

What others have said is good, i own a 77 and bought the Haynes from Napa for like $12. Its pretty good, I would recommend getting it for the price, when i bought my cruiser and had 0 knowledge of cruisers. it seem to walk me through enough to get me by. It may not have all of your info, so i would go for the Original.

Of course when all else fails, i always refer to the experts on MUD. ;)

GL :beer:

Does anyone know what missing the Blue VTV valve in the above pics would do to my engine performance?
Running pretty good now that I have made the initial adjustments to the carburator as well as fixed the vacuum line routing and replaced with new lines. I did notice however that this VTV was missing on mine.

Thx,
Pwelco

I don't think the missing vtv will have much of an effect. Your throttle positioner should still function to maintain a slightly higher RPM at deceleration than at idle. The TP might just function a little more abruptly, but I don't know that you'll notice it.

Does anyone know what missing the Blue VTV valve in the above pics would do to my engine performance? I did notice however that this VTV was missing on mine.

Thx,
Pwelco

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom