'78 2f failed emissions. Ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am 0-2 on my first 2 emissions tests. Looking for some ideas... Me no speaky carburators! :

It is a '78 2f in an FJ40. ALL smog equipment intact. It passed all of the visual and equipment tests. On the sniffer, it passes everything BUT loaded CO. The limit is 1.5 and I am over 5.5. CO at idle is .5.

It was worse the first time around, failing both hc tests as well,but after adjusting timing, and the idle, the hydrocarbons fell into place.

So, I am FAR from a carb. expert, but I am thinking there is too much fuel getting into the engine when you come off idle. Should I be checking to see what jets are in there? Does anyone know wich ones are SUPPOSED to be there? I think ths vehicle spent some time in Colorado, so maybe its jetted for altitude??

Thanks in advance for any sugestions!

Bob :beer:

Yes, it is running too rich. There are several possibilities:

Clogged air cleaner.
Choke stuck on.
Power valve stuck on. There should be vaccum on its accuator line to close it.
Air vent holes for the slow jets and/or emulsion tubes are plugged.
Wrong main jets (too big).

The good news is you are not too far off. Check 1-3. Try the "Oklahoma rebuild". Spray the inside of the entire carb with spray type cleaner. Start engine, rev it up to 2,500 and hand choke it (with your hand over the air horn) until it stalls. Repeat several times. This pulls a high vacuum inside the carb and pulls fuel out through all the tiny air and fuel passages and it may clear them if they are plugged.
If this all fails, have it rebuilt.

great info. Thanks! Does anyone know what main jet is SUPPOSED to be there?

If those ideas still dont work for ya....

you dont have a catalytic converter right?

toyota came out with the catalytic converter in 79 correct?

why not just throw one on for the test and take it out when its done...put back next year.

I thought about that, but wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to make sure I have the correct jets in my carb??

AZguy.....What years fall into the test category? I am thinking to relocating to AZ and I have a 75 FJ40 that was desmogged by the PO, Thanks, Matt

AZguy.....What years fall into the test category? I am thinking to relocating to AZ and I have a 75 FJ40 that was desmogged by the PO, Thanks, Matt

Claudia [dsrtrdr] told me when she took her 71 from Nebraska to AZ, she had to start smogging it again.:rolleyes: She said they were going back to 1966!:eek:

Claudia [dsrtrdr] told me when she took her 71 from Nebraska to AZ, she had to start smogging it again.:rolleyes: She said they were going back to 1966!:eek:

Testing is only required in urban areas. Phoenix and perhaps Tuscon. I don't think they test in Flagstaff and for sure not in most of the state. I also heard you could get a classic car exemption if you drive under a certain number of miles/year. We've got a house in Surprise, western edge of Phoenix metro, and I was considering keeping mine there.

great info. Thanks! Does anyone know what main jet is SUPPOSED to be there?

Doknnow about a '78 but in my 76, Ca carb, I have a .124 main jet and a .230 secondary jet. The secondary jet is chromed.

feel sorry for you fellas over there,we dont have that problem in oz,just get a roadworthy cert and away ya go,i am blown away when i see pics of the shorties in the us,all that hoses and stuff,none of that here,never seen so many hoses under a bonnet,maybe move over here,only jokin,but no we never had that here,seems like a hassle

Thanks pin head. I am going to take mine out and see what it is. Where can I find smaller ones??

K91,
My previous cruiser was a '74 with a Chevy 350, NO smog equipment, and she sailed right through. That was about 3 years ago though. It figures, the bone stock '78 I have now with ALL of the smog equipment won't pass. Just my luck!

You seem to be fixated on changing your jets. Why don't you take Pinheads advise ( he really knows what he's talking about) and try the Oklahoma rebuild first? Do that and post up the results before you move on to the next steps.

The chances of it having the wrong jets when it left the factory are pretty much zero. Someone may have switched the primary and secondary jets later, but rejetting it is probably a band aid for what the real problem is. If you go smaller, it may not run under some other circumstances, like high RPM.

Seems to me that if the vehicle came from Colorado (translation: high altitude), it would have been jetted down, not up??? During 1998-99 when we were testing 1985-87 FJ60's (attempting to get our TBI kits smog legal) 100 percent of the emissions equipment on those test vehicles was already shot. Merely putting on a fresh Cat cleaned them up sufficiently to pass a tail pipe sniffer (warm engine) test. If all of your emission equipment is intact (translation: able to pass visual), then a fresh cat might single handedly get you through???

feel sorry for you fellas over there,we dont have that problem in oz,just get a roadworthy cert and away ya go,i am blown away when i see pics of the shorties in the us,all that hoses and stuff,none of that here,never seen so many hoses under a bonnet,maybe move over here,only jokin,but no we never had that here,seems like a hassle

Feel sorry for you fellas down there, We don't have that problem in SC with getting a roadworthy cert. We buy a vehicle and away we go. I'm blown away by y'all having to have tires and a vehicle that runs. I'm blown away when I see pics of those OZ vehicles with all those tires and steering wheels and such. Never seen so many safety features like brakes or bumpers. Maybe you should move up here. We had that here but it was too easy to slip 10 dollars to to the redneck and get a sticker. It was a hassle so we just stopped doing it.

No matter where you go someone else is gonna have it better than you.:D

Seems to me that if the vehicle came from Colorado (translation: high altitude), it would have been jetted down, not up??? During 1998-99 when we were testing 1985-87 FJ60's (attempting to get our TBI kits smog legal) 100 percent of the emissions equipment on those test vehicles was already shot. Merely putting on a fresh Cat cleaned them up sufficiently to pass a tail pipe sniffer (warm engine) test. If all of your emission equipment is intact (translation: able to pass visual), then a fresh cat might single handedly get you through???

I'm with you, Jim. Exactly what I did a month ago. An easier solution than messing with the carb, ect. when the truck runs good. Numbers after the cat was installed are about the same as a late model with fuel injection and a computer. Truck has Downey headers, BTW. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/270633-how-i-beat-ca-smog-nazis.html

:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom