77 SERIES PULLING TO THE LEFT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I'm having a drifting issue with my 77, it's leaf sprung in the front.

When I bought it pulled a bit to one side, then took it in for an alignment it drove straight.

I then had an issue and needed to replace a tie rod end, at this time I also swapped in the spare tire, I got it aligned, and it seemed to track fine at first and then that tire lost air, pumped it up, and it seemed to track ok, but has degraded quiet quickly. The drifting is bothering me. I took it to the shop today; they told me that according to the specs they've put in, it should be drifting right, but it still drifts to the left. And that because of this it must be a ball joint issue, or another replaceable part- this does not sound right to me because had it been this issue all along it never would have tracked straight before.

It's a 93 77, old man emu leaf springs and shocks heavy duty lift - new to me truck.

Tires are 255, 75, 16, with spacers. Tire pressure 35 psi.

I'm looking for help in figuring this out and figuring out what are the different components that would affect this drift, as I am not well versed in this.

thank you.

Has anybody checked the wheel bearings, knuckles and TREs?

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Hello,

TREs, knuckles and pitman arms may be in need of either adjustment or replacement.

It is also possible that the PO changed the suspension but forgot to make the mandatory camber/caster alignment.

Juan

Since it's been to the alignment shop twice they should have advised if there was a caster issue ......

Hello,

Good point.

Juan

Feel your rims after driving for a bit. If one is hot then your brakes are dragging.

Does the truck have e-hubs still? Any chance one is still engaged and causing more drag? Just a thought.

Manual hubs will check the wheels for brake drag.

I'm not sure what to do about the alignment shop, it's a bit over my head... but I would trust them it should be a simple alignment?

Has anybody checked the wheel bearings, knuckles and TREs?

to answer your question.. not yet.

Here's a bit of the story. When I bought, I had pulling to the left, left TRE was replaced, I also discovered there was a kink in the front left wheel, so I swapped the spare with the front left tire. Then I went to alignment shop, they aligned, it stayed straight, lost air pulled left, re-aired, worked fine. Over time it has degraded and now pulls left, all tires are at 35 btw (so not an issue).

Could a poorly TRE after install create an issue like this?

And was just one TRE replaced or did they replace them all?
We usually get one of the Japanese "555" kits ( we stock them ) and replace them all.

to answer your question.. not yet.

Here's a bit of the story. When I bought, I had pulling to the left, left TRE was replaced, I also discovered there was a kink in the front left wheel, so I swapped the spare with the front left tire. Then I went to alignment shop, they aligned, it stayed straight, lost air pulled left, re-aired, worked fine. Over time it has degraded and now pulls left, all tires are at 35 btw (so not an issue).

Could a poorly TRE after install create an issue like this?

Hello,

A failing or loose TRE/knuckle/pitman arm can be a pain to deal with.

The PO may have hit the curb hard at least once, and did a poor repair job. Either that or a hard surface while wheeling. That would explain the kink on the front wheel and the pull.

Does the truck have front axle protection? Careless off road wheeling can cause serious damage to the front axle.

Time to have steering and front suspension thoroughly checked...

Juan

Hello,

A failing or loose TRE/knuckle/pitman arm can be a pain to deal with.

The PO may have hit the curb hard at least once, and did a poor repair job. Either that or a hard surface while wheeling. That would explain the kink on the front wheel and the pull.

Does the truck have front axle protection? Careless off road wheeling can cause serious damage to the front axle.

Time to have steering and front suspension thoroughly checked...

Juan

Hello Juan, thanks for your input on this...

I wanted to write back because you may have some good points.

This is where we are on this.. I have been lacking on follow through to due to new responsibilities and not really driving the 77 very much due to the glass- that took a while to get (not sure if you remember).

Anyway, while parked I got the shop to take a look at this pull. They replaced the right TRE, this now means that both TRE have been replaced. They took the veh. to a different alignment shop, suppossedy the "best", got the veh. back once that rear glass was replaced and I still have that pull. I swapped out both front tires, still have the pull. $188 at alignement shop and about another $150 for the TRE work.

I have not tried to swap the two rear tires yet, I may do that tonight as I'm becoming a bit impatient.

I just spoke to the shop again, still have the pull. They said: Lets take it back to the alignment shop; he's going to do some "tweaking" for the veh. to drive straight it could affect tire wear.

I'm no fxxxing rocket scientist, but I don't think this is how one fixes this.

Any advice?

Juan- I would love to take it to a suspension shop to get it thoroughly checked, I'm just 100% skeptic of every shop at the moment.

The axles are pretty clean, I think that could be the least likely culprit.

A landcruiser should pull to right on north American roads if the roads are cambered. Have they checked the rear wheels for alignment? Are there any signs of accident repair?
Is the suspension on the correct side, eg A side on drivers side?

A landcruiser should pull to right on north American roads if the roads are cambered. Have they checked the rear wheels for alignment? Are there any signs of accident repair?
Is the suspension on the correct side, eg A side on drivers side?

For a period of ownership the truck drove straight. The truck has never been in an accident, but again before purchase it was a) inspected b) appraised c) japanese car fax report was attained d) canadian car fax report was attained. Through not 1 of those sources do we have a suspicion of an accident being reported. I think I can say beyond a reasonable doubt that the truck has never been in an accident.

Suspension, I think it is on the correct side. I will take a look; these are dakar heavy leafs; the truck does not sit off to one side.

I'd like to know more about your camber theory... The roads here are cambered and drives the most straight when in our right lane (slowest lane).

And was just one TRE replaced or did they replace them all?
We usually get one of the Japanese "555" kits ( we stock them ) and replace them all.

They originally did one, I had the other one done just for good measure, there was no evidence it needed to be done.

Has anybody looked at the brake calipers to see if one has a stuck or sticking piston?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom