77 Series (HZJ77) Overland Build - New Zealand (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
77 Series (HZJ77) Overland Build - New Zealand
For me, the classic 70 Series shape (mid 80's to mid 00's), is one of the best looking vehicles ever built; and the 77 Series (5 door) is at the top of that list, alongside the Troopy. It is fair to say I have had a soft spot for them, having owned a Troopy and a PZJ77 over the years. Over the past year or so I have been keeping my eye out for a tidy HZJ77 (powered by the bigger and better 4.2L 6 cyl 1HZ engine, as opposed to the 3.5L 5cyl engine found in the PZJ77 model) here in New Zealand. The odd one comes up for sale every now and again, but most have had VERY tough lives, and are up around the 400-500,000km mark, with rust, leaks and everything in between. To find a tidy example is a very tough ask...

Roll on October 2020, and I stumbled across this: a 1991 HZJ77, 98,000kms (yes, 98!) and my preferred silver colour scheme. It has been very well looked after by the previous owner, who also added a nice couple of touches to her in the form of a turbo kit from a 1HD-T (C26) and professionally tinted windows.

My plans for this truck are to be my daily driver and adventure rig - cruising the back roads of our beautiful country, which is fill of rivers, mountains, snow, desert, and everything in between. So it's fair to say it will have to be a versatile rig! Let's see....

Planned Mod/Accessory List:

• Turbo kit (genuine Toyota, CT26 off a 1HD-T) -
  • 2" EFS lift -
  • 305/60r17 AT's -
  • 17" steel wheels -
  • Flat roof platform -
  • Snorkel/raised air intake -
  • Rear bar (with one swing-away tyre carrier, and one jerry holder)​
  • ARB winch bar -
  • Spotties/driving lights -
  • EGT and coolant gauges​
  • Storage/sleeping system​
  • LED headlights​
  • Ipad holder (Ram Mount)​
  • Dual battery system​

And, a couple of shots from the seller...

Photo 28-09-20, 2 10 50 PM.jpg

Photo 29-09-20, 4 38 37 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sweet HZJ77. Have always like the solid color more on them rather than the two tone, regardless of color.

First Impressions - Pick Up

We flew up to Auckland to pick up the new rig - who has quickly become known as "Wolfie". The coming days would see us make a cruisy trip back down the country, including a ferry trip across Cook Straight (the body of water separating the North and South Islands of New Zealand).

Upon arrival in Auckland, the seller met us at the airport and took us to a local parking lot for a final/closer inspection prior to handing over the money. We were impressed -certainly tidy (agreeing with the low mileage on the vehicle of just 100,000kms!), and the blue carpet trim was nowhere near as hideous as what I thought it may have been. Underbody - clean. Engine - no blowby whatsoever. Exhaust - no smoke. Rust - none to be seen (lifted all carpets and trims and it looks as thought it's just come out of the factory). You get the picture.....we took it.

Now for the journey south....

Pics:

Photo 6-10-20, 9 22 31 AM (1).jpg

Photo 6-10-20, 7 25 42 AM.jpg

Photo 5-10-20, 8 43 23 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Roadtrip Home

So far we are really happy with Wolfie! With the added turbo, he really cruises along nicely and sits at highway speed effortlessly. I am also pretty impressed with the overall handling. Obviously the leaf spring all-round set up makes the ride a little harsher than my old 80 Series, but that's comparing apples and pears. Also happy with economy, getting 12.5L/100kms at this stage. That is the same as my 2015 Hilux (with the D4D 3.0 Turbo Diesel), and better than my old 100 Series (1HD-FTE) and 80 Series (1HD-FT).

Photo 6-10-20, 2 44 09 PM.jpg

Photo 6-10-20, 4 59 57 PM.jpg

Photo 6-10-20, 5 02 53 PM.jpg

Photo 6-10-20, 5 05 44 PM.jpg

Photo 6-10-20, 10 58 51 AM.jpg

I was actually talking to the seller Scotty on it as well. Seeing about bringing it over to the US for myself. :cool: Turned out, it wasn't quite the right fit for me.

She looks a beauty though. Keep us posted on the build. :beer:

Last edited:
Assuming you have factory A/C, the limiting factory may be the space between the radiator and grill. If I remember correctly the space is very limited.

]
Assuming you have factory A/C, the limiting factory may be the space between the radiator and grill. If I remember correctly the space is very limited.
PDI’s kit comes with A/C relocation parts. If your grill is metal you probably will want a plastic one so you can shave the inside till it fits.

Homeward Bound

Here are a few shots around Kaikoura. It is a seaside town about a third of the way down the east coast of the South Island and is a real outdoors paradise - sea fishing, climbing, hunting, wheeling, etc all are popular in this neck of the woods.

The rig has been getting ALOT of attention and waves on the drive south! :)

A few more pics:

Photo 7-10-20, 2 20 15 PM.jpg

Photo 7-10-20, 2 23 49 PM.jpg

Photo 7-10-20, 4 11 10 PM.jpg

Photo 7-10-20, 4 11 34 PM.jpg

Photo 7-10-20, 12 42 32 PM.jpg

Great looking rig, congratulations! I need to go visit my friend who lives in your neck of the woods after all this pandemic baloney leaves us. What a beautiful place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom