77 FJ45 Restoration advice required for the best sale price

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine would like me to restore his 1977 FJ45.

He originally bought it to keep but has lost interest. He had a guy "restore" it for $2000. Besides taking nearly a year the job was 'what he paid for'.

I told him that I will restore it properly so that he can get the best sale price. It will be a full restoration.

Question 1. What is the best bang for buck? The original petrol engine, an LS1 or a diesel engine ... or other.

Question 2. What is the best bang for buck? Concourse or Custom

Question 3. I have seen that the prices asked for FJ45s vary greatly. What $$ range do think that a well restored vehicle would fit into?

I'm hoping to start this project over xmas and my initial work on the project will be to:
- remove the cab and have it blasted
- assess the chassis to see if it needs to be blasted or not. It has been repainted but to what level - I don't know
- chase up some missing -- mainly seats -- a single and a double
- assess the engine - I have been told that it is strong but I'd like to go over it -- none the less

Question 1. What is the best bang for buck? The original petrol engine, an LS1 or a diesel engine ... or other.

Question 2. What is the best bang for buck? Concourse or Custom

Question 3. I have seen that the prices asked for FJ45s vary greatly. What $$ range do think that a well restored vehicle would fit into?
1 I would leave it original if the F engine is ok, at least for the time being. Doing a resto and engine swap at the same time doubles the pain. Something that can be driven sooner rather than later is betterer.
2 Does he want to make it his retirement nest egg or enjoy it while he is still young enough?
3 See the answer to #2

Well, the thing is.. he doesn't want to keep the car.

So.... he wants to get as much bang for buck as he can. Obviously I will be paid for my time working on it ... so that'll come out of his profit - mates rates.

I know that changing the engine will take more time, money and research.... but if the pay off is worth the investment and if the buyer market is greater then it will be worth the effort.

But... I don't know what the best market for this car is. The person that wants a stock FJ45 that runs the original petrol engine or the person that wants a powerful 4x4 that is economical and has some mod-cons.

=)

I usually deal with classic Minis so... they are 2 markets that differ greatly.

phrogg4evr

I am The Liquor
GOLD Star

What type of "restoration" are we talking about? A good nut and bolt resto? Or merely getting it running, doing a few mods and some body/interior work, essentially just polishing a turd to make a quick buck?

If the wants to do a quality restoration, your bud will likely never get the return on his investment, especially when you have somebody else do the work. IMO, keeping it all stock will probably help it hold the value over the long haul from a collector standpoint. But, thats spendy and will cost him.

Your only plus is you are in AUS and have far better access to cruiser parts that us across the pond,

Just the way it is.:meh:

Last edited:

76FJ40

Old Fart
SILVER Star

Nuts and bolts. A quality restoration.

What are these things going for - for a quality restoration. I know that there are a lot of factors but ball park.

I have looked on Gumtree, eBay and Carsales and all have sooo varied prices.

jfz80

Spicy
SILVER Star

35-75k with average and most likely value being somewhere near the middle at ~50. Too many unknowns really to get you any closer. I would leave it all original for best collector prices. Remove and clean up/paint drivetrain at the least. Confirm and document health of engine.

Do you and your buddy know how to make a small fortune restoring old vehicles???

Start with a big one!

Seriously, unless the market for a restored 45 is phenomenal in OZ land, he should consider what its worth in these options:

1) As it sits?
2) A few $1000 in tune ups. clean up, to make it a good driveable vehicle.
3) Full restore

Not many vehicles restorations return a dollar plus....or even dollar for dollar on the investment. Maybe the 45 market is great and going up, and/or, the restoration prices are low enough to generate a fantastic return. But I would look at the options carefully before starting if it was me.

Good luck which ever way it goes.Do

Doug720:

>> Do you and your buddy know how to make a small fortune restoring old vehicles???

Yeah, do your research before you start the project.... hence why I have started this thread.

>> Start with a big one!

Fortunately this would not be a 'big one' because the vehicle is as basic as they come. Restoring a 1960's project car back to it's original spec is big. I have one of those projects running now - trying to find the array of parts from a variety of other rare cars is a challenge.

The whole point of this thread is to work out:
- a ball park value of a fully restored FJ45.
- if it is worth doing an engine swap?
- if it is worth keeping it stock or custom?

For example: If the vehicle owes him $4k so far and if he sells it now - as it sits - he will make maybe nothing or a little bit

I know that some cars are not worth restoring to make money... hence why I have started this thread. This is the research before the work begins - or not.

35-75k with average and most likely value being somewhere near the middle at ~50. Too many unknowns really to get you any closer. I would leave it all original for best collector prices. Remove and clean up/paint drivetrain at the least. Confirm and document health of engine.
I have estimated that after it is finished the total costs of materials and time will be around $15k - that includes the original purchase price of the car.

As I have said, I have seen the prices vary so much online. The gotcha to any adverts is that just because someone asks $30k does mean that it will sell.

A car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I haven't searched using past Sold items on eBay. I might do that.

Do you think that the price changes much depending on the State i.e. Vic, Qld etc?

Jdc1

SILVER Star

I have estimated that after it is finished the total costs of materials and time will be around $15k - that includes the original purchase price of the car.

As I have said, I have seen the prices vary so much online. The gotcha to any adverts is that just because someone asks $30k does mean that it will sell.

A car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Do you think that the price changes much depending on the State i.e. Vic, Qld etc?
How many hours do you think you’ll have in it? A quality nut and bolt build will take way more that 500 hours. Add parts and materials and even at $5 per hour you are over budget. Even a quick and dirty build will blow the budget. This might be a good rig to sell as is and keep a friend.

jfz80

Spicy
SILVER Star

Have no idea how differing states in your area will affect price. Next question is how patient can he be while waiting to sell? If he can sit on it forever at a high price maybe a buyer comes along eventually. If hes in a hurry needs to be priced appropriately.

Research should be your first step then. Not many better builds to base it off than clemsoncruisers last two documented on here. Ill see if i cant find his ebay handle. They were over the top accurate and clean but his lwb went for around 58 to out of country buyer/collector in germany and he made something like .15/hr for his efforts. Not sure where the swb ended up at.

The bar has been set. Good luck.

I think it is generally accepted that the only people that make money on full restorations, are the ones paid to do the restoration.

Your buddy will probably lose less money if he simply pays you to make it safely drivable and then sells it.
Like mentioned above, $2000 for brakes, tune-up and maybe some steering components to tighten the front end.
A good power wash, maybe some seat covers if the upholstery is shot.

Maybe some pics of the truck would shed more light on what needs to be done and what value it may have or can have..

I have no idea about prices in AU, but it seems the 40 series get the bigger bucks in NA.
But you never know, the right buyer may be around when you are ready to sell.

Top Bottom