77 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All

Just a few newbie questions for you.

1. Is a leaking master cylinder a very common TLC problem?
2. Does anyone else think the gas and brake pedals are too close together?
3. Are the wiper motors all slow?

Thanks
:cheers:

Welcome.

No.
No.
No.

Good luck!

-Steve

Congratulations on the new 40!

Being that it's new - you're probably going to have to sort out a few things the previous owner couldn't be bothered with. You will soon learn you have to spend money on what is essential, what you think it needs, or what bothers you. You just cant have everything!

Cheers -

Tucker

I'd say a leaky master cylinder is to be expected sooner or later on an old car. I could be wrong. Its not a bad repair. Did it on my old 86 toyota truck. No big deal. My bro just did it on his 75' FJ40.
Pedals may be too close.. depends on what size shoe you wear. Go drive a honda accord right after driving your cruiser... you'll think they are miles apart.
wiper motor may just be getting old. but they don'r run as fast as the new cars.

enjoy

Hi All

Thanks for the replys it is much appreciated.

Leaky Master Cylinders are very common if you use the CCOT replacements :p

IF your MC is leaking, get it rebuilt (or, better, replaced) with a Toyota replacement. Brake fluid is bad for your paint and lack of it leads to accidents. MCs get old and the cylinder gets rusted/scored and the plunger wears out, so they leak. It will happen with any vehicle after 25 or 30 years. Just get it fixed.

The pedals seem close together when you are wearing ski boots or Sorels. The rest of the time they are fine.

I have a different wiper style than yours, but I wish I could slow mine down!

I am looking into buying a master cylinder now actually. I wonder is it just that the wiper motor is old and wearing down, that would cause the ssssllllooooowww wiping action that I have now.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom