1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

77 FJ40 wiring harness question?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by buckroseau, Feb 4, 2004.

1. buckroseau

buckroseau May I have another!!!

Looking at the wiring Harness schematic for a 77 FJ40. In the lower right hand corner running off a 15A circut a Red wire w/ a black chase (lighter fuse). Powers the lighter, interior light and switch and a, "inspection light socket".

http://www.yankeetoys.org/documents/wiring_diagram_78_fj40.pdf

What is an inspection light socket? I believe I'm seeing those wires in my harness, and they are hot, but I don't what that is and I don't remember pulling something like that out when I took it apart? They kinda come out of the harness near the parking brake assembly.

Thanks, Matt

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    There was a small 12V trouble light that Toyota shipped with the trucks.

You can find them on E-bay occasionally..

Good luck!

-Steve

3. 3_puppies

3_puppies SILVER Star

SOR used to sell them, not sure now. they plug in on my old 79 it was in the glove box. I think older models they were on the pass. side firewall.

4. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    They no longer have them, least not at the site...

5. buckroseau

I think we may be talking about 2 different things, or maybe not? I do see, and have the plug in, in the glove box and you probably answered my question. I'm not looking at my cruiser right now, but I don't think that was the color on those wires, although I could be wrong. And those 2 wires going to that plug were a lighter gauge wire than the cigerate lighter wires.

The terminals on the glove box conector are a 1/4" spade terminal and the wires (obviously) come out near the glove box. I maybe have a different question, not sure though? I've got 2 wires that come out of the harness near the parking brake assembly.

One is Red w/ a black chase and the other is White w/ a black chase. The terminals are a round snap connector, one is female the other is male. Both wires are the same color and gauge as the cigeratte lighter wires. I maybe assumed to much by asking what the inspection light socket was? I just assumed that these 2 wires were that? So now my new question is, what are those 2 wires for?

I'm going home for lunch in about an hour, I am going to pull the fuse on my cigeratte lighter circut and see if those wires go dead? Also get a few pics and post them, see what you think, if that will help?

Thanks, Matt

I've got 2 wires

6. buckroseau

Ok, I went home at lunch and took this pic. You should be able to read what I wrote on the pic. The inspection light socket (the one in the glove compartment) and the cigerette lighter are on the same circut.

You should be able to see the set of wires to the left by the brake assm.

Anyone?

7. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    How about the little ilumination lamp on the dash pad...

8. buckroseau

No, sorry. ??? You can't see it in the pics, but that little light is hooked up and hanging down below the other switches, working properly.

9. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    Then how about the similar lamp that lights up the defroster/vent/heater control on the heater?(right above in the pic where the wiper switch is)

10. buckroseau

Poser,

Similiar light? I'm pretty sure I remeber the little green light in the center of the dash pad, which I have hooked up. I don't remeber another similiar lamp being there.

It has been a while since I took this apart and it is possible the PO removed it, this thing hadn't been treated that nice?

Any pics of this lamp?

One more thing, my seat belt and parking brake light that are shown on the dash are on a bracket where I drew a line to. Hanging below the dash on the left side of the column. I don't think that mattered, just trying to be specific.

Matt

11. 3_puppies

3_puppies SILVER Star

Matt, like POSER said, there is a light that lit up the side handle on the heater box. The handle that selected defrost or heat. The light mounted under the dash on a little bracket and shined its light down.

Did the seat frame get there yet?

12. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    you can buy the new trouble/inspection lights from Toyota, $30ish, CCOT sells them as well, the plug looks like a standard house 110v plug.
    http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/ligemtroubli.html

depending on the year the plug will be, in the glove box, on the firewall, or under the glove box, all Cruiser up thru 87 had them, older 4runners as well, maybe mini's

Other lights, yes there is one under the upper dash pad, it has a green vocer over it. Also another light that shines on the heater controll, this one is white I think, its next to the radio pocket. This is the case on my 82's, I assume at least back to 75. Early cruisers don't have stuff like this, except the trouble light.

13. Plowboy

Plowboy

here is a picture of that small light under the dash.

14. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    There is a small lamp assembly that fastens to the underside of the dash, with one phillips head screw, right above the defroster control, to illuminate that control lever, and the writing cast into the heater unit. I do not have a picture of this lamp, but they have been on many 40's that I have taken apart. Should be on all from 9/73 for sure. Judging from your picture, you are missing that whole front section of the dash tho...how does that work?

Are there wires hooked up to a switch on the parking brake?

15. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the pic plowboy...

16. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Looks like your doing a big restore job by your picture. How hard is it to get the dash off?

17. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=romer link=board=1;threadid=11007;start=msg99325#msg99325 date=1075941073]
    Looks like your doing a big restore job by your picture. How hard is it to get the dash off?
    [/quote]

I think he stated that it was a Gozzard tub that he was working with...

18. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Thanks Steve, I thought the dash was part of the cowl.

His personal text say he is doing a frame off restore. It looks good too! I was justr curious how hard it is to get the dash off to have access to these wires. I have a few mystery wires I would like to track down.

19. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    The dash is a fixed component of the cowl, while you could take it off, the work involved with doing so would not make it a very viable option, especially for chasing a wire problem..The harness comes out pretty easily if the insturment cluster is out, the heater is unbolted from the bulkhead, and the radio, if equipped, is out...

Good luck!

-Steve

20. buckroseau

Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry I didn't post sooner, was gone from work until this morning.

A picture is worth a thousand words, the pic plowboy posted, I do not have that light. I have no doubt it probably came on mine from the factory, but the previous owner (cooter, wyatt, sceeter or bubba....) must have removed it. So when I disassembled everything off my rig, I never saw it?

I think I may have to now move to the for-sale section, I want to get that particuliar part, anyone???

Romer, as Poser said, I am using a Gozzard tub. So the dash at this point is rather easy to take off. Once I finish wiring and install the dash back on with all the other chub that is involved, it will be almost impossible to remove it again. Trying to get everything right and perfect now, very easy to work on the wiring without the dash on. I did remove the dash off my steel tub, with all the knobs and gauges as one complete unit. But, my steel tub was complete JUNK. I didn't care if I wrecked it or not. Unless you plan on leaving your dash off your steel tub, you don't want to go there, it will be destroyed in the process. And yes Romer, I am doing a big resto job. You can click on the link at the bottom of my post to view my web site, just go to, "Matt's cruiser" on the side bar.

3-Puppies, yes, the seat frame arrived yesterday, Thanks. You wouldn't happen to have that light assembly that Plowboy posted?

Thanks, Matt

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">