77 FJ40 wire off near starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My girl lost a wire and be damned if i know where it goes. In process of putting in new gas tank. Has been sitting for 9 years and begging to run the wild again !

Looking at my pics it dawned on me that my bezel is upside down (my god)

Can anyone help me on the placement of this wire ?
Land Crusier starter wire.jpg

FWIW - Looks like the wire with the green connectors should go to your distributor.

Here are a few old pics of my '77 connections in that location:

IMG_1888.JPG

IMG_1585.JPG

Wiring diagram of that area.
Haynes1977FJ40Page1.jpg

My girl lost a wire and be damned if i know where it goes. In process of putting in new gas tank. Has been sitting for 9 years and begging to run the wild again !

Looking at my pics it dawned on me that my bezel is upside down (my god)

Can anyone help me on the placement of this wire ?View attachment 2309351

here is a brand new Period Correct Live Specimen , i just hand made @ 6:30 this morning , for references purposes ........ :)

DSCN2683.JPG
DSCN2684.JPG
DSCN2695.JPG

First off, thank you for the help guys!! I thought that is where it might go (distributor) but previous owner had run the white wire that you see to the coil. I wonder if the guy fized his problem and left the wire just sit there! .... On a side note when key is turned on there is no power going to that spare wire hanging there. Would there be power to it with key turned on?? .... Damn can`t post pic

Note that your wire is a black wire, consistent with the wiring diagram @GA Architect posted. It comes from the (-) terminal on the coil. In the US, that wire is red, and it goes to the igniter (no igniter in Canada). There shouldn't be power to that wire with the key turned on.

The Canada spec distributor is a small cap vacuum advance distributor with octane selector, similar to the distributor used in the US through '68. It looks like your distributor is the original 19100-61010, which Toyota later replaced with 19100-61080. Here's a photo of a new 19100-61080 from the City Racer website:

1589994145187.png

Last edited:
Note that your wire is a black wire, consistent with the wiring diagram @GA Architect posted. It comes from the (-) terminal on the coil. In the US, that wire is red, and it goes to the igniter (no igniter in Canada). There shouldn't be power to that wire with the key turned on.

The Canada spec distributor is a small cap vacuum advance distributor with octane selector, similar to the distributor used in the US through '68. It looks like your distributor is the original 19100-61010, which Toyota later replaced with 19100-61080. Here's a photo of a new 19100-61080 from the City Racer website:

View attachment 2313049

... I finally stumbled through my spare wire post and think i know what happened. Thanks for the help and i now where to get a distributor. Just 1 more question?

Yes i do have a wire (white) running from neg. side of coil to the distributor, the previous owner had run it separately out of the wiring harness but he failed to end or get rid of the old connection. Now in saying that, i do see the original black wire still connected to coil running into the wiring harness and ending of course to my question in the first place (spare wire)

... With the white wire running direct already, i should be able to disconnect the org. wire at coil and cap off the other end ? I just cant think of why the person would run a separate direct line? Wires look good on both ends and the wiring harness has not been rubbed anywhere and in good shape??

Have not started this girl in 9 years (waiting for gas tank) and want to make sure everything is up to snuff before attempting.

It is up and running !! ... Why i did not fix that before is beyond me, it was my daily driver for years. But with 9 years parked the brain gets fuzzy as to how it was running when i parked it.
Drivers Side.jpg
Drivers Side.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom