77 FJ40 window regulator replacement vs refurbish (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
77 FJ40 i'm restoring and took the window regulators out and i'm going to restore everything. i've always wanted windows to operate smoothly. CCOT has an aftermarket regulator. Anybody have experience with this vs others? Or should I just clean and grease my original? It was requiring a lot of effort to raise and lower the window. Had already done channels and felt, hoping that would improve the effort. Your input appreciated.

My experience was that my windows became a little more difficult to role up after changing out the felt and the rubber wipers, I think because the new stuff worked and put more pressure against the glass. Lubing the regulators helped a little. Changing the regulators made them role up smoother and with less wobble. But the drag from the new rubber was present. I think like its supposed to be?

On a side note, if you decide to swap out regulators, I have a set, right and left new in the box from CruiserCorps. $150.00 for both.

devo

My experience was that my windows became a little more difficult to role up after changing out the felt and the rubber wipers, I think because the new stuff worked and put more pressure against the glass. Lubing the regulators helped a little. Changing the regulators made them role up smoother and with less wobble. But the drag from the new rubber was present. I think like its supposed to be?

On a side note, if you decide to swap out regulators, I have a set, right and left new in the box from CruiserCorps. $150.00 for both.

devo
I installed new regulators a few years ago. Aftermarket but can’t remember where I got them. Although they work, the quality is poor. Lot more loose than the OEM and a few of the threads stripped when I went back in to replace felts recently. Had to put nuts on the bolts to hold everything together. I would keep the originals if still serviceable.

I'd keep oem if they still move. I have used Boeshield on both the regulator and new felts with great success. It dries leaving a really nice water and dust resistant lubricant behind.

I'd keep oem if they still move. I have used Boeshield on both the regulator and new felts with great success. It dries leaving a really nice water and dust resistant lubricant behind.
thanks. this is a good idea. i wasn't sure if the spring or regulator was the issue or the channels. but it sounds like some lubrication in both places will make a nice improvement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom