77 fj40 v8 wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was search the threads, really didnt see what i was looking for. Maybe i just missed it, but im almost complete on my two year project of installing a chevy 350 and th350. All that is left is the wiring for the engine and some gauges.
The guy that was doing the mechical work for me cant fit it into his schedule any more due to his job as a race car driver/ machanic. I was woundering if any one has a wiring diagram or knows where to get one of the 77 with a chevy 350, no smog is required for where i live. Also need to know if this is something I can do i a couple day time period, with very little knowledge of electrical work. thanks for the help.
nate

wiring

I put an 89 tbi in my 79 40 got all the information at the local library
jimr

ya need like 5 wires....

starter switched
alternator
coil
ground
mmmmm....ok, 4.....might need an "exciter" wire for the alt too...

seriously, it really is just that easy to get the motor running......Coil should be a good sized wire, black/yellow stripe rings a bell....starter is black/white stripe....I think.....alt is white/blue stripe....

check the wire diagrams in the tech links, blow one of those up and buy a bulletin board to tack it up....add a highlighter, and start tracing.....

doing it yourself will save you TONS of hassles if something goes odd on the trail :D

Coming from the master of "what goes wrong" on trails :flipoff2:

I would listen to him ;)

Is there any specific tech link you find better, or easy for a complete begineer to look off of?

I made manual changes to my 75 diagram for my carb'd HEI distib 350. Give me your fax number and I'll get it to ya as long as you promise not to laugh at my drafting ability.

nate77fj40 said:
Is there any specific tech link you find better, or easy for a complete begineer to look off of?

No.

As long as you have a SBC without electronic fuel injection or electronic ignition it is simple:

1. The big fat honking black wire that went to the big starter lug on your old engine goes to the big starter lug on your new engine.
2. The smaller black wire with white stripe that went to the solenoid lug of your old starter (the start wire from the key) goes to the solenoid lug of your new starter.
3. The black wire with yellow stripe that went to your coil on the old engine goes to the coil on your new engine.
4. The ground strap from your old engine goes to your new engine.

Do you see a pattern emerging here?

It is only slightly more difficult for the alternator and gauges. It is hard to be specific about the alternator because you don't say which one you are using. Try searching for "alternator" and find your specific one.

The way to deal with the gauges is to remove the lectric senders for the oil pressure and temperature and buy adaptors so that they can be installed on the SBC. Downey, SOR and MAF sell this stuff.

Try this wiring set up...worked for me! Used factory harness and wire colors! YMMV! Cheers
CHEV8.jpg

I could use some help

76 FJ40 harness to a sbc with HEI dizzy.

I'm going to hook up the big black/yellow striped wire to my dizzy terminal labeled BAT? Is this the correct wire?

From the diagram(s) I have it looks as if the small black wire w/green plug went to the igniter, which of course I don't have.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428633083.912841.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom