77 FJ40 squeal-whistle-hollerin' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does this sound familiar to anyone? It's loudest from underneath, near the clutch. I've used an auto stethoscope but it's impossible to pin-point the exact part that's making this noise. It's really loud.
-it seems to happen only at idle speed or a consistent RPM range. Sorry I don't have an RPM gauge or tach to know for certain
-It stops when RPM's increase, regardless of it being under load or not
-It does not stop when the clutch is depressed
-It happens when in (any) gear AND when it's in neutral

Ideas? It's really as loud as it seems in the video.

Squeal starts at 12 seconds.

trans input bearing or throw out, may not be disengaging all the way which will quickly wear the throw out bearing, IMO the trans input would be easy to check with stethascope , how much clearance does the throw out have from fingers of clutch when sitting not running ? they may be just rubbing the throw out.

trans input bearing or throw out, may not be disengaging all the way which will quickly wear the throw out bearing, IMO the trans input would be easy to check with stethascope , how much clearance does the throw out have from fingers of clutch when sitting not running ? they may be just rubbing the throw out.
Makes sense. Thanks!
Whats the best clutch kit brand out there? I'm going to order one in a few days.

For the record, it doesn't really matter if its the input or throwout bearing. You'd want to replace them both while you're in there, as well as the front trans seal. All are cheap and easy to do. The hard part is getting there. If you have a leaky rear main, now might be the time for that. The bread trick works awesome for pilot bearing removal.

Any of the venders here probably have what you need. No "best" kit that I'm aware of. You want it to be quality, obviously. Just a few off the top of my head:

I would buy the clutch from Kurt @ Cruiseroutfitters or Georg @ Cruiser Brothers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom