77 FJ40 question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guy i work with has a 77 fj40.. pretty much stock with 35's and a Chev 350..
He wants to make it a wheeler.. but hes kinda inexpreinced so i told him id help him build it... What i want to know is, what gears came stock in it ? what gears are availible he wants to go as low as possible? he wants to do a spring over so how much lift will that add? what springs are availible and he could get some flex out of?
is the rear end a 8" or ?? he wants to weld the rear and lock the front, whats a good locker for a cruiser?

When doing a spring over and adding power steering what steering box and pump do u use?

Im a Toyota truck guy normally but im just tryin to dig up info bc this is gunna be my first Cruiser build up.

Eventully it will be all exo caged too
Thanks Jake

Stock gears are 4.11 and spending your cash on a Toybox or Orion would get you plenty of low end without changing them.

5.89's are available but require some fabrication to fit. Powertrax No-Slips are the best locker I have used BUT the Aussie locker has a good following at around half the price. ARB in the front would be great but cost twice as much as the Powertrax.

I wont take a guess on the steering box BUT SEARCH! and you will find a ton of info here on differen't conversion.

as far as springs go stay stock anything with any lift will be too tall. in the process of doing basicly the same build but you truck is much more complete. i am running dual cases so that i don't have to touch the gears. thinking about going with an aussie my self

i am using a sm465 and i about to order a toy box to adapt to my one piece case. have thought about running a split case but i have the one piece at the house.

MyDixieWrecked said:
Guy i work with has a 77 fj40.. pretty much stock with 35's and a Chev 350..
He wants to make it a wheeler.. but hes kinda inexpreinced so i told him id help him build it... What i want to know is, what gears came stock in it ? what gears are availible he wants to go as low as possible? he wants to do a spring over so how much lift will that add? what springs are availible and he could get some flex out of?
is the rear end a 8" or ?? he wants to weld the rear and lock the front, whats a good locker for a cruiser?

When doing a spring over and adding power steering what steering box and pump do u use?

Im a Toyota truck guy normally but im just tryin to dig up info bc this is gunna be my first Cruiser build up.

Eventully it will be all exo caged too
Thanks Jake

Your buddy would be wise to get on here and spend some time searching, unless he wants you to make all decisions about his 40...

'77 FJ-40 will be 4.11:1 with coarse spline pinion

SOA will add ~6 inches with factory spring pack - the best choice for flex I am told.

The ring gear is 9.5 inches.

I will use a Toyota box from a FJ60 when I add PS. Many others choose Saginaw. There are many PS threads on here...

Want my opnion? A "pretty much stock" 40 with 35's and 350 is very capable.
You hit it on the head when you said your buddy is inexperienced. He could learn a lot by finding a Cruiser (or other) club and going wheeling. He will get experience, and also see what works, and what doesn't.

Good Luck,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom