'77 fj40 leaf spring bushings question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there suspension experts- My all-stock leaf springs all need all their rubber bushings replaced. My local AZ Toyota dealer will get me them for $4 ea. The question is: there is some discussion about IF all 4 corners and IF the shackle end and opposite end of each one use the same bushing. The Toyota parts guy shows different part#s for front and rear pieces, yet they ALSO cross-reference these #'s to one number for ordering (?). So whaddya all think?

call Kurt at cruiseroutfitters.com, he sells them for $2 per piece and will know what you need - fast shipping, too --- clickable link ---> Cruiser Outfitters

Mine were all the same size on my 82. I thought the earlier ones were the same just a little smaller. I destroyed my pin getting it out so maybe put that on your radar as well.

Same size. As a separate issue.... I used to be a promoter of the urethane suspension bushings. I have now outgrown that position and believe that, generally, the real rubber bushings will outlive and outperform the harder urethane bushings, unless the rubber gets oil soaked. Just my opinion.

Thanks guys for the info! Makes ordering easier. One more potentially dumb 2-part question- when installing the rubber bushings, can I grease the outside diameter of said bushings, (against to the shackles), or just the inner holes? And what's the best grease to use? I'm interested in maximizing the effectiveness of this stock setup. Thanks again!

I used a lithium based grease and did outside and inside. Many opinions on this but I asked my dad who is an old school heavy duty mechanic. I don't think it makes a huge difference any way you choose.

If the fit is too tight to push the bushing in, use a little silicone grease on the inner eye of the leaf and a little on the bushing. Be SURE to lube the pins after you clean them. You want the pins to articulate or they will wear out the bushing pretty fast.

Rubber bushings and cheap polyurethane bushings do not have inhibitors to allow use of lubricants, so non-lubricated rubber bushings wear out, and non-lubricated polyurethane bushings squeak. My trick was always to use polyurethane bushings that had the inhibitors to allow use of lubricants (Downey bushings), and to use massive amounts of the lowest quality covered wagon axle bearing grease that I could find (thick, almost bees wax, stays put, keeps crap out, lubricate all inner and outer surfaces of the bushings and sockets).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom