77 FJ40 Front Pinion Bearing Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My POS landcruiser started leaking after 40 years from the pinion.

I've taken the old seal out and removed the front bearing to inspect it. It looked great other than the interior of the bearing where it rides on the pinion shaft. Its as if it got a little rust on it. Pictures attached.

I'm ready to reassemble but I'm having a hell of a time working that bearing back on the shaft where it should be seated. Any tricks to sliding this on there? I've installed a lot of bearing and races but never on a pinion before. I feel like I should take some emery cloth to the inside of the bearing but before I screwed something up major I thought I would check here with the professionals.

Thank you
Mark
20210730_195348.jpg
20210730_195334.jpg

I am not sure why you'd want to reuse that bearing? clean up the spindle and install with a new brand bearing.

I am not sure why you'd want to reuse that bearing? clean up the spindle and install with a new brand bearing.
Because you can't change the race without tearing down the 3rd member. A new bearing with an old race is a no no from what I've read. If others have done it I would like to hear about the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom