'77 FJ40 Door glass felt seal failing and in-effective? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess my main question is: is there an option for a tigher-fitting, Rubber, outer door window seal that will fit an 1977 FJ40? The felt type seems to allow a lot of water into the door.

Maybe i have a wrong impression of the function of the felt-type door window seal/weatherstrip.
In north carolina, we have had a rainy spring and summer. When I drive my FJ after a hard rain, there is always a lot of water inside the door. My doors drain fine, so I am not concerned with that. But, I am more interested in improving the effectiveness of the door seals keeping water out of the door. Are my door seals simply too poor quality to be effective? (CCOT felt door seals https://www.coolcruisers.com/winglasbelwe.html).
Does anyone have any ideas on how/if I can adjust the felt-type strip to function as it should? Is there another option?

It's not clear from your post so if you can post some pictures it might help. You mention "adjust the felt-type strip to function as it should?" The rubber is the outside strip and the felt is the inside strip. There are no adjustments.

The felt-type seal isn't intended to keep water out of the door, as modern rubber seals appear to do. This is another good reason to park an FJ40 inside or under a cover. You can squirt some oil or grease into the bottom seam of your door so that it doesn't rust out from the water entry.

The felt-type seal isn't intended to keep water out of the door, as modern rubber seals appear to do. This is another good reason to park an FJ40 inside or under a cover. You can squirt some oil or grease into the bottom seam of your door so that it doesn't rust out from the water entry.
Thanks. I realized that I ordered the wrong thing a couple of years ago, so I think i have the correct seal on the way. I appreciate your response.

It's not clear from your post so if you can post some pictures it might help. You mention "adjust the felt-type strip to function as it should?" The rubber is the outside strip and the felt is the inside strip. There are no adjustments.
I realized that I had ordered the wrong thing. I have the rubber type on order now. I appreciate your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom