77 Coolant Questions (Again) Stumped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FYI, I have read just about every thread on coolant.

What prompted this was some bad lines and I had not performed this since owing the vehicle. Never overheated, just start to leak a bit from the upper rad hose, so thought I'd do it.

To date flushed and drained the entire system aside from removing heater lines and core. Flushed 2x using Preston and then again using Blue Devil and finally water. Replace most lines and t stat. It was pretty dirty!

Removed both radiator plug and engine low point drain. Nothing ever came out of low point? I ran engine for a few minutes and nothing. So closed her up...

Filled with about 1 and half gallons of preston 50/50 and rad was showing full. Ran around the block burped and still showed full. So knowing I likely had water still in the system, I drained the system, which totalled almost 2 gallons even.

I then refilled to get approx 2 and half gallons and again is showing full.

I am a newbie, so haven't done much of this before. However manual shows I should have 18-19 liters and I put it approx 2.5 gal or roughly 10 liters.

I will say it feels as though the rad seems warmer and the upper main hose to t stat, however thats a full assumption having never really paid attention to the area before.

Your assistance is much appreciated!

Josh

It needs burped, park it on a steep uphill slope, remove the radiator cap and bring it up to temp, let the air burp from the system.

Recently drained my 78 to replace the thermostat housing, and about a gallon of antifreeze came out of the block drain. I've read in other threads that when nothing comes out it is probably because the drain is clogged with crud. Might want to try poking inside with a coat hanger.

I just did this a couple of days ago. You need to unclog the low point drain. I emptied my radiator and tried to empty the low point drain but nothing came out. I worked at it for a while to get the crud out and a ton more nasty coolant cane out. Truck runs much cooler now.

Small amount of debris, got it to drain another 1/2 gallon.

Thanks all, guess I didnt remember to clean it.

She took roughly 3.5 gallons, based on the 18-19 liter recommendations, she may need a little more.

By the way, tried the hill burp trick and it seems to work well. Nice big air bubble.

Thanks for all the responses. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom