77 carb rebuild confusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rebuilding my 6/77 carb.
Watched Pinhead’s videos multiple times and have the FSM.
I have the carb apart but can’t get the pump inlet ball out. I don’t see an “e” clip in there to take out.
am I missing something?
Thanks

Maybe missing the e clip retainer and the ball. You should be able to see both with good lighting.

Thanks for the quick reply Pinhead.
I can see the ball down there (won’t fall out) but nothing I can grip with the trusty hemostat.
Thanks for posting those videos. Extremely helpful. Have you ever considered a career in film or politics?
B3E24BCA-510B-447B-8DC2-8886583413EA.jpeg

Your e-clip is missing. Wonder if that's the big ball that should be in the discharge chamber and is wedged. Could be just shellaced in place. Small ball goes in the big hole(pump chamber). If you blow air into disharge chamber while covering the brass discharge nozzle, air should dislodge the ball.

e-clip
16DE3CC9-180A-45E2-905B-83C144EA5469.jpeg

small ball & e-clip
56A205E6-F871-42FE-B768-E65F1680B811.jpeg

just the ball
DCAB50C3-656F-4413-AB0B-C47D95F4F3C5.jpeg

The ball will often corrode into place if the carb has been sitting dry for a while. Using a fine tip probe (like a very sharp scoring awl) you can wedge the tip against the side of the ball and flip upward/across the ball to break it free.

Mark...

Your e-clip is missing. Wonder if that's the big ball that should be in the discharge chamber and is wedged. Could be just shellaced in place. Small ball goes in the big hole(pump chamber). If you blow air into disharge chamber while covering the brass discharge nozzle, air should dislodge the ball.

e-clip
View attachment 2233129

small ball & e-clip
View attachment 2233130

just the ballView attachment 2233140
Well, the ball and clip were definitely not there. I have a new ball from the rebuild kit. Any ideas where I can get a clip?

The ball will often corrode into place if the carb has been sitting dry for a while. Using a fine tip probe (like a very sharp scoring awl) you can wedge the tip against the side of the ball and flip upward/across the ball to break it free.

Mark...
After drying the chamber, you are correct, the ball is rusted in place. The 40 has been running well except in idle. How important is this circuit?

Very. I am surprised that it is not very evident in running/drivability.

Mark...

*I* do not see a ball in the pic.

Mark...

Spray carb cleaner, pick at it, clean the gunk out and free the ball up. apply carb cleaner to the bottom side via the fuel passage from he bowl. *If you can manage to get some air pressure in through there too, it will likely blow it all out quickly.

Mark...

It looks like it is filled up with fine dirt. Try some soap and water and a brush. You can also blow it out with compressed air from the bottom of the bowl. There is a hole that fills the pump well.

You can still get the e clips from Toyota.

It looks like it is filled up with fine dirt. Try some soap and water and a brush. You can also blow it out with compressed air from the bottom of the bowl. There is a hole that fills the pump well.

You can still get the e clips from Toyota.
Ok. Thanks all. I’ll report back.

Well, no joy.
The BB is nice and shiny now but still lodged. I’ll keep picking at it over the weekend.
Different question. My primary jet is 150 and secondary 220. Those seem very large. Think PO increased jet size due to inop accel circuit?

It may be a little large. The stock size for CA was 124, which may be small.

Do you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner? They work well. If you have dirt in your accelerator pump well, I image it is everywhere.

Last edited:
1.50 is at the upper end of the primary range. The non US 2F carbs came with a 1.50 primary jet.

As @Mark W posted, keep picking at it. And as @Pin_Head posted, expect to find more of the same behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom