77/79 Roof (Ex firetruck) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, Mark from BC Canada here. Last year i brought a HZJ75 Fire truck in from Japan and have been slowly doing the work to it. I am getting closer to chopping the roof and would like to know if there are any options locally before i commit to buying parts from Japan.

Looking for a 77 or 79 roof that will fit a 4 door.

Probably a shot in the dark but i figure its worth a try. Anyone with anything that might fit my build?

PFA

toyota-land-cruiser-fire-truck-is-lit.jpg

20220519_181013.jpg

How about a CDN BJ70? I see them getting parted out due to rust but the roof is often okay.

There also used to be a company in BC called EBI (Extreme Bends Inc) that had 70 series body parts. Not sure if they are still around.

Hello,

Chopping the roof takes away the uniqueness of a former fire engine in my book.

I assume you modified the rear seat base, a chopping job that is more practical in a fire engine.

A rusted out 70 Series or Troopy can be a good source for a roof if you decide to go that way.

Juan

The only thing that would make me consider chopping a roof is to get rid of a sunroof but I like that high roof.

Hello,

Chopping the roof takes away the uniqueness of a former fire engine in my book.

I assume you modified the rear seat base, a chopping job that is more practical in a fire engine.

A rusted out 70 Series or Troopy can be a good source for a roof if you decide to go that way.

Juan
I get it. But height is a concern. Can't run a hard top clam shell Rtt with a 4ft box... Unless I want to stack things to the sky 😅

Extra head room? What am I? Andre the giant? I guess I could build in cab storage like a bus and keep all my backroad books and bacon puffs up there... Pillows, blankets... Wait this gave me an idea.. 💡

th.jpg

Extra head room? What am I? Andre the giant? I guess I could build in cab storage like a bus and keep all my backroad books and bacon puffs up there... Pillows, blankets... Wait this gave me an idea.. 💡

View attachment 3091142
I always thought a typical passenger plane made a good example of what can be done with both gear and people in the same high roof space. Good for it.

I always wondered what the purpose of the high roof was. Is it because the firefighters wear all the gear, including the helmets while in transport?

I have some netting in mine to hold gear up in the 'overhead bin'. I've been thinking of re-doing it with some brackets and something rigid, like the Detla VS 80-series shelf.

Not sure if SNLC still has Tony's roof laying around. It was there a few weeks (or months) back. He cut it off to add a pop-top. Not too far from you down here in Boise.

20180716_215221.jpg

Why not just buy 63111-60790 and be done with it?

A roof replacement is not an easy job. I have done one 45 wagon and a corner repair on another. Most canadian bj70's have a corrosion issue. I would fix the rear seat in a heartbeat but a water seal roof on a 4 door is not a job for the shadetree body guy.

I always wondered what the purpose of the high roof was. Is it because the firefighters wear all the gear, including the helmets while in transport?
The pump apparatus under the rear seat greatly elevates the seat which requires the raised roof to guarantee adequate clearance for passengers in the back. 😊

A roof replacement is not an easy job. I have done one 45 wagon and a corner repair on another. Most canadian bj70's have a corrosion issue. I would fix the rear seat in a heartbeat but a water seal roof on a 4 door is not a job for the shadetree body guy.
Whatever I can't do myself I'll get done by somone good. My buddy did his already and it looks great. Hopefully it lasts.

Hello,

I remember reading that a high roof helps a little with aerodynamics.

Back in the day it was deemed a good thing, if I remember correctly.

I suppose the designers thought that a high roof compensated for the drag induced by the fire control equipment in the rear.

Juan

Hello,

I remember reading that a high roof helps a little with aerodynamics.

Back in the day it was deemed a good thing, if I remember correctly.

I suppose the designers thought that a high roof compensated for the drag induced by the fire control equipment in the rear.

Juan
You start with a vehicle that’s shaped like a brick, add a rather anemic, normally aspirated diesel and a ga-zillion pounds of pumps, hoses and accessories. I’m not sure “reducing drag” was ever part of the equation. 😁
Whatever engineer mentioned “aerodynamics” had a wicked sense of humor. 🤣

You start with a vehicle that’s shaped like a brick, add a rather anemic, normally aspirated diesel and a ga-zillion pounds of pumps, hoses and accessories. I’m not sure “reducing drag” was ever part of the equation. 😁
Whatever engineer mentioned “aerodynamics” had a wicked sense of humor. 🤣

Hello,

I found a few pictures of 60 Series trucks that had high roofs. Some Suzuki Samurais had them as well,

Yes, it was an engineer with a wicked sense of humor.

I bet it was the same engineer who suggested electric hubs.

Juan

I have some netting in mine to hold gear up in the 'overhead bin'. I've been thinking of re-doing it with some brackets and something rigid, like the Detla VS 80-series shelf.

Not sure if SNLC still has Tony's roof laying around. It was there a few weeks (or months) back. He cut it off to add a pop-top. Not too far from you down here in Boise.

View attachment 3091178

Gone, scrapped, recycled.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom